Panasonic ET60 Profiling (failed)

Home Forums Help and Support Panasonic ET60 Profiling (failed)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Christian Sohlberg
    Participant

Hey everyone,

been trying to profile my htpc setup using Displaycal and I hav’nt had much luck, I keep getting errors
    at the verification. Htpc is dedicated for video playback with Madvr.

Display is calibrated to 100cd/m2 @ 100 ire and to a delta greyscale error of 0.5 @ 30/80 ire using
    Calman patterns and 2 point greyscale calibration.

Display & Instrument
    Settings: Video 3dlut for Madvr (D65, Rec.709/Rec.1886)
    Instrument: Spyder 5
    Mode: LCD White LED
    Correction: None
    White level Drift compensation: Unchecked
    Black level Drift compensation: Unchecked

Interactive display adjustment: Unchecked
    White point: As measured
    White level: As measured
    Tone curve: As measured

*These settings brings up a question box and button changes to “Profile only”
    “Use linear calibration instead” : Checked
    “Embed calibration curves in profile”: Checked

3D Lut settings
    Source colorspace: Rec.709ITU-R/BT.709
    Tone curve: Rec.1886
    Rendering Intent: Absolute colorimetric with point scaling
    3Dlut file format: Madvr(.3dlut)
    Input encoding: TV RGB 16-235

Software Versions
    Displaycal: 3.7.1.4
    Argyll: 2.0.1
    Madvr:  0.92.17

Hardware
    Graphics: Nvidia GT 1030 (YCbCr: 444, 16-235)
    Display: Panasonic Viera TX-L55ET60Y (16-235)
    AV Receiver: Primare SPA23 (YCbCr: 444, 16-235)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

your settings look reasonable, but if you want to use the already calibrated whitepoint of the TV, set rendering intent on the 3D LUT tab to “relative colorimetric”.

Regarding your display stability problem: Disable any and all dynamic features of the TV (e.g. dynamic/local dimming, auto contrast, power saving, etc), use the smallest possible image area (using the slider in madTPG), and enable white level drift compensation in DisplayCAL. Also make sure no light shines directly on the TV and the instrument during measurements.

The Spyder5 is not the best choice for TV measurements, because it is very slow especially on devices with good black level, and TVs usually require more patches than desktop computer monitors to be accurately profiled due to non-linearities. Reduce the patch amount using the slider on the “Profiling” tab to reduce the measurement time (don’t go below 175).

Christian Sohlberg
    Participant

Hi,

my display has everything turned off except for a “aptive backlight” function. Without this setting turned on the blacks are grey and you can basically  only us the display/panel during the day.

I will give the “relative colorimetric” setting, the amount of patches and the size of the madvr image area a try to day.

An other question regarding the madvr window.

Lets say that I have a large image area, say 40% I then measure 100 cd/m2 using a 100 ire pattern.

If i use a smaller image area, say 10% I then measure 75 cd/m2  (example).

The size of the image area in madvr will therefor affect the amount of backlight that I need to apply in order to achieve a certain luminance.

Using the Calman patterns from AVSHD Test disc, the exact percentage of image area in madvr is 14%. This gives you the  same area of pattern.

Would´nt a smallest possible image area in madvr give me a luminace value that is to low?

Again, thank you for your reply

Florian Höch
    Administrator

my display has everything turned off except for a “aptive backlight” function. Without this setting turned on the blacks are grey and you can basically only us the display/panel during the day.

This needs to be turned off during measurements. The display needs to be stable, which is not the case if an adaptive backlight function is working against it.

Would´nt a smallest possible image area in madvr give me a luminace value that is to low?

This is a general recommendation. Usually you want to avoid any power-saving on behalf of the TV during measurements, some TVs dim if the white area is too large. It is very uncommon for a TV to operate the other way around, i.e. a fullscreen white having a higher luminance than a small window.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS