OLED phone display is super accurate

Home Forums General Discussion OLED phone display is super accurate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MW
    Participant

This display is actually surprisingly well behaved. Not what I expected. Just check out the verification results.

You might wonder how to load the profile? What’s great is that it works solidly as a second display in Photoshop and Lightroom. To do this I use an app called Spacedesk. It’s different than other screen sharing type apps I’ve compared in one key way: it makes the OS detect the phone as a display device. Because of that  it’s possible to load profiles!

Any downsides? Yes, the image is compressed so precision won’t match a wired display. That’s why the web interface still should be recommended for the profiling stage. Picture a small OLED on your desk next to your main monitors, all fully color managed. Better yet try it yourself you might have one of these phones laying around, wouldn’t it be great to make it useful?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by MW.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by MW.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Display is a good match TO A TAILOR MADE PROFILE, of “detailed” type (XYZLUT). That is very different from your sentence.
    It is not that display is well behaved (it may be, although it does not seem so if we look at gamma), just happens that a very detailed XYZ LUT profile is a good match to display… and that is not uncommon, it’s actually expected, that’s why XYZLUT profiles are used (if supported by SW).

What you may want to try is to reencode an sRGB or AdobeRGB image to phone profile. That way an image in not color managed image viewer in phone will look (ignoring white point and contrast&brightness mismatch) as it looks on a desktop monitor using Photoshop or other color managed editor.
    You can use that phone or tablet as some reliable “portable book”, rather than as editing display.

MW
    Participant

Speaking in an absolutes sense, yes there are much better behaved displays. Speaking in a relative sense, for a consumer grade device attached to a phone you could have problems that even a XYZLUT can’t fix. We can see that’s not a problem with this display.

What you may want to try is to reencode an sRGB or AdobeRGB image to phone profile. That way an image in not color managed image viewer in phone will look (ignoring white point and contrast&brightness mismatch) as it looks on a desktop monitor using Photoshop or other color managed editor.
    You can use that phone or tablet as some reliable “portable book”, rather than as editing display.

That would yield a higher viewing precision than with Spacedesk. I don’t think many users would prefer that over a live preview. But it would be prudent to check final exports that way.

I’m easily geting a good match on white point and brightness. I have CCSS corrections for both displays, Brightness and RGB settings in my phone are adjustable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS