OLED Panels

Home Forums General Discussion OLED Panels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

George Hsia
    Participant

Is there anything I need to be aware of when profiling OLED panels?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In case of TVs, A(S)BL (automatic static brightness limiting). Use a small patch size, white level drift compensation, dark desktop background (or use madTPG), potentially use pattern insertion. Aim for a peak luminance of 100-120 cd/m2.

George Hsia
    Participant

Thanks Florian. This is on a laptop panel.    All the same requirements apply?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, although I think A(S)BL will not be present. Make sure the Laptop does no dynamic dimming otherwise.

SirMaster
    Participant

I do know the newest Razor Blade 15 2019 laptop OLED model will do some weird dimming (as it’s a power limit thing) if you have the backlight at 100%, so you would want to turn the backlight down a bit in this case. But yeah, targeting 100-120 cd/m2 should probably prevent this in all cases.

Gellért Ficzere
    Participant

In case of TVs, A(S)BL (automatic static brightness limiting). Use a small patch size, white level drift compensation, dark desktop background (or use madTPG), potentially use pattern insertion. Aim for a peak luminance of 100-120 cd/m2.

Is there anything else we should change to get it correct on OLED? Read a lot of stuff on the forum and other forums as well, but I’m still not 100% sure about it.
    I want to have two calibrations, one for the bright mode with gamma 2.2 ~150-160cd, and one for the dark mode with gamma 2.4 ~100-120cd. I read some things about non-zero black level in the guide at the gamma option. Since oled has zero black level, should I leave Gamma 2.2 at ‘relative’ and Black output offset at 100%? (with ambient light level adjustment enabled and measured)

Other than that I set white level drift compensation to on, chose the 6-series woled correction, black point correction: auto, maximize lightness difference at profiling

The one measurement I attached I tested gamma 2.2 with ‘Absolute’ and ‘Black output offset’ at 0%. The image is noticeably darker (but not bad) as  the gamma is higher and varies a bit. If I leave it at the default, the targets are on the 2.2 value and the results are pretty much on it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Gellért Ficzere
    Participant

Is there anything else we should change to get it correct on OLED? Read a lot of stuff on the forum and other forums as well, but I’m still not 100% sure about it.
    I want to have two calibrations, one for the bright mode with gamma 2.2 ~150-160cd, and one for the dark mode with gamma 2.4 ~100-120cd. I read some things about non-zero black level in the guide at the gamma option. Since oled has zero black level, should I leave Gamma 2.2 at ‘relative’ and Black output offset at 100%? (with ambient light level adjustment enabled and measured)

Other than that I set white level drift compensation to on, chose the 6-series woled correction, black point correction: auto, maximize lightness difference at profiling

The one measurement I attached I tested gamma 2.2 with ‘Absolute’ and ‘Black output offset’ at 0%. The image is noticeably darker (but not bad) as  the gamma is higher and varies a bit. If I leave it at the default, the targets are on the 2.2 value and the results are pretty much on it.

White level drift compensation: on, 6-series woled correction, 150cd white level, gamma 2.2 preset, ambient light correction enabled and measured (86cd), black point correction: auto, maximize lightness difference at profiling. Getting some high errors on dark colors.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That looks good though, only three patches (dark red #9 and #15, dark green #19) get clipped to black by the TV, maybe not much you can do about it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS