Old timer need helps for profiling

Home Forums Help and Support Old timer need helps for profiling

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

PasProfil
    Participant

Hi,

I’m new in this forum and this spectacular software! I have a Dell U2713H monitor, win 10, nVidia Quadro graphics card. I have i1Displaypro X-Rite colorimeter.. I have used Displaycal to calibrate and profiling with OSD  preset “personnal colors” Now I would like to correct sRGB presets and AdobeRGB presets with displaycal. Do I understand correctly if I say that I must not calibrate manually (light, contrast and gain) the monitor and only profile it?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by PasProfil.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

PasProfil
    Participant

Here are my rapports of the calibration and profiling.

Thank for your help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Now I would like to correct sRGB presets and AdobeRGB presets with displaycal. Do I understand correctly if I say that I must not calibrate manually (light, contrast and gain) the monitor and only profile it?

You can (and probably should, if possible) adjust brightness to meet your needs, and there is also no need to disable calibration in DisplayCAL – this will usually help establishing good gray balance (also for non-color-managed apps). Note that if you are going to use mainly color managed applications (e.g. Gimp, Photoshop, Affinity Photo, XnView, Firefox with gfx.color_management.enablev4 = true and gfx.color_management.mode = 1), then there is no need to use the sRGB and AdobeRGB modes of your monitor.

PasProfil
    Participant

Thanks Florian.

1- Allow me to be more precise in my question because something is not clear for me. I am just an amateur but want do the best I can with my photos (mainly to print photo album for my grand-children!). So here’s the thing. Among the preset modes available with Dell U2713H, I have ‘temperature mode” “Color space mode” and “perso mode” . Only “perso mode” allow me to adjust gain, hue, saturation etc.. Doing a profile with Displaycal requires to adjust brightness and  gain for RGB in “perso mode”. Now if, by hypothese, I would like to calibrate and  profiling the adobeRGB preset mode for let say D5700 and 120cd/m2 , and would be requested by Displaycal to adjust brightness and gain. In order to do it, I must open OSD menu, change the preset mode for ‘perso” ,  adjusts  gain for R,G and B, and return to preset mode ‘adbeRGB’ to continue. But doing so, I have ‘scapped’ my previous settings for gain in my “perso mode ” preset isn’t it?

2- My second question is related to how to verify with Displaycal the CAL 1 and CAL 2 hardware 3dLUT settings available after DCCS calibration and profiling. In 2014, when I began with this wide gamut monitor,  someone help me a lot on an other forum and asked to choose the following matrix correction for my colorimeter: spectral LCD Phosphore (addition for Dell U2713H …13dec2011). After a 3 years iatus, I uploaded version 3.7.2 of Displaycal and I am confused with the many choices I now found in matrix correction menu .

a-: do I chose spectral or matrix?

b- which one to choose. For instance beween “matrix i1display Dell U2713H…” or “spectralDell U2713H i1 Display pro by vistavison”?

Thanks for your help

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But doing so, I have ‘scapped’ my previous settings for gain in my “perso mode ” preset isn’t it?

Sounds like it. If the sRGB and AdobeRGB modes are not adjustable, then you may have to skip that part.

a-: do I chose spectral or matrix?

I would stay with the choice you made previously (spectral LCD RG Phosphor), this is an “official” correction supplied by X-Rite. The matrix ones are user-supplied, and without a spectrometer, you have no way to test their accuracy.

PasProfil
    Participant

OK. To characterise my monitor to 100cd/m2 with personnal color setting osd, I need to change contrast from is manufactory setiing 52 and downsize it to 49. I read somewhere not to touch the contrast . Is it still a good practice to keep?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For desktop computer LCD monitors, it is generally best to not touch the “contrast” control simply because of the way it is usually wired – i.e. reducing contrast alters the signal level via monitor-internal LUTs, so reducing the backlight instead has the same effect (reducing peak luminance) while not having potential drawbacks like introduced banding or other quantization artifacts (depending on internal LUT precision). Some LCD monitor “contrast” controls may even raise the black level, or clip near black and/or white values, when adjusted. If you do not notice any such ill effects, it may be safe to adjust regardless, if it is the only way to reach the desired target peak luminance.

PasProfil
    Participant

(…) while not having potential drawbacks like introduced banding or other quantization artifacts (depending on internal LUT precision). Some LCD monitor “contrast” controls may even raise the black level, or clip near black and/or white values, when adjusted. If you do not notice any such ill effects, it may be safe to adjust regardless, if it is the only way to reach the desired target peak luminance.

OK. How could I see banding  or artifacts and clipping? Is it only by experience among the years or can I do a report with Displaycal and notice some information agout those ill effects?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

OK. How could I see banding or artifacts and clipping?

A gray gradient or other suitable test image in a non-color-managed application (like MS paint), with calibration set to linear.

PasProfil
    Participant

Thanks. Sorry to ask, what do you mean by “with calibration to linear?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Right-click on the profile loader icon in the task tray and select “reset video card gamma table” (don’t forget to change it back when done).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS