Obtaining a gamma of 2.15 instead of 2.2

Home Forums General Discussion Obtaining a gamma of 2.15 instead of 2.2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

After calibration, using “report on a calibrated device” shows a gamma of 2.15. Should it be closer to 2.2, since that’s what I used for the tone curve?

My uncalibrated gamma is 2.3, but I assumed it would be better to keep using 2.2.

Profile is attached

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Go to the verification tab and run a full report. The average gamma via “report on calibrated device” only takes into account the 1D calibration.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I have included the full report done after calibration.

On the gamma curve, the measured gamma is always lower than nominal.

There is also a gamma average of 1.13 (1.15 median) when showing additional statistics.

Given my low knowledge into this, I am assuming that the reported gamma value is wrong. However, if I’m wrong, let me know.

Thanks for the reply,

Anonymous
    Inactive

In addition, since I’m using a TN display, I am assuming that the big “NOT OK” for Maximum ΔE*00 is normal, since it cannot reach true black.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It looks like the display has drifted a bit since it was calibrated & profiled, but still seems ok.

I am assuming that the big “NOT OK” for Maximum ΔE*00 is normal, since it cannot reach true black.

Yes, this is normal for displays with poor black level and/or poor black neutrality (you can correct for the latter using calibration black hue correction, at the expense of contrast). In your case since you are aiming for a very warm whitepoint, the effect is exacerbated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I ran the verification just after calibration.

Calibration was on 17th, 16h29.  Verification was at 21h the same day

It’s not the best screen for colour accuracy, but still…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS