novideo_srgb: GPU-side LUT-Matrix-LUT calibration

Home Forums General Discussion novideo_srgb: GPU-side LUT-Matrix-LUT calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 134 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, that’s helpful.

I only use DisplayCal to make sure that my calibrated profile is maintained and re-applied, so it sounds like this will work well for my purposes.

As long as it functions OK with Gsync for when I’m gaming, seems like a great solution (for me).

Bill Wood
    Participant

the same can be achieved by editing the EDID to set the primaries to the measured ones, then using CRU (or the manual registry method) to override the EDID, activating the driver’s sRGB clamp option, and then doing a VCGT calibration on top of that

Please, how do you edit the EDID and then use CRU to override it?  I thought CRU only handles resolution changes?

Bill Wood
    Participant

Yes, it is better since you will be calibrating to a well known curve.

noiremk2
    Participant

So for clarification, after setting the clamp with the icc profile form display cal, and set to gamma 2.2 100% black offset, what other steps should I make to ensure images render correctly? I opened an image in firefox, and it didn’t match photoshop, which was set to be color managed, so I assumed they both pulled from the windows srgb profile. What’s causing the mismatch?

I’m still getting a black crush on my display when viewing a test image, could this be do to port contrast? I can see them when setting it to srgb in it.

(Reposted for weird text issue in the last)

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by Florian Höch.
    • This reply was modified 8 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Removed escaped HTML tag

noiremk2
    Participant

So for clarification, after setting the clamp with the icc profile form display cal, and set to gamma 2.2, what other steps should I make to ensure images render correctly? I opened an image in firefox, and it didn’t match photoshop, which was set to be color managed, so I assumed they both pulled from the windows srgb profile. What’s causing the mismatch?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by Florian Höch.
    • This reply was modified 8 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Removed escaped HTML tag

Vincent
    Participant

Attach the display profile, or check TRC & primaries yourself. Also check PS configuration disabling softproof and show us Color Adjustments configuration.

noiremk2
    Participant

I set novideorsgb to gamma 2.2 instead of srgb, and generated a virtual gamma 2.2 profile in displaycal’s advanced tool menu.

Is this correct when having the clamp engaged, so that srgb content will be viewed correctly in managed applications or should I be using the WCS srgb profile?

noiremk2
    Participant

I set novideorsgb to gamma 2.2 instead of srgb, and generated a virtual gamma 2.2 profile in displaycal’s advanced tool menu.

Is this correct when having the clamp engaged, so that srgb content will be viewed correctly in managed applications or should I be using the WCS srgb profile?

Would love to have a confirmation on this, if I should be using a standard srgb profile, or a gamma 2.2 simulation one generated from display cal.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by noiremk2.

Case
    Participant

Disable novideo_sRGB for the monitor in question. Maybe do a gamma reset via the DisplayCal profile loader just to be sure. Then calibrate the monitor via DisplayCal to your preferred gamma (likely either sRGB or pure 2.2). Do not apply the final color profile in Windows once it’s done, instead set your active monitor profile in Windows to sRGB IEC61966. Then run novideo_sRGB and set the target for the monitor in question to sRGB/BT.709, choose “Use ICC profile” and set it to the profile you’ve just created in DisplayCal. There should be no need for you to touch the “Calibrate gamma” option in novideo_sRGB because the ICC profile should already have your preferred gamma correction.

For added color accuracy, you can then (only after you’ve done all of the above) run DisplayCal again (meaning with the novideo_sRGB  clamp active) and generate another ICC profile. You can set this ICC profile as your active monitor color profile in Windows instead of the sRGB IEC61966 profile. This will have no real effect on non-color managed applications, but in color managed applications, your color calibration will be slightly more accurate compared to if you only did the first part. However, the difference should be fairly small and if you just wanted to have a fairly accurate sRGB clamp for general use, this second part is absolutely optional and only really needed for those who require high color accuracy (but those probably don’t need to read this in the first place).

noiremk2
    Participant

There’s one thing I’m confused about, if I’m calibrating to a gamma 2.2 target. Would it not be incorrect to have the standard srgb 2.1 profile set in windows, could that introduce some inaccuracies when paired with the displaycal gamma 2.2 calibration?

Dato
    Participant

Thank you for the Great tool!

Have a question

On my wide gamut Samsung monitor clamp to sRGB using edid is working fine, but clamp using icc profile not working(

I create synthetic icc using displayCal, then try to use default sRGB profile from windows, nothing works

What might be a problem?

In windows cms I assign regular DisplyP3 profile for this monitor.

Also have another monitor from KTC and for it clamp from edid working in reverse)

I checked, the monitor itself is wide gamut, but edid reporting wrong primaries, close to sRGB space. When activating clamp to sRGB colors became more saturated)

When activating clamp to rec.2020 colors saturate even more))

Vincent
    Participant

Display behavior & default display profile should match for color managed apps. If they do not match do not expect color managed apsp to be accurate

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you for the Great tool!

Have a question

On my wide gamut Samsung monitor clamp to sRGB using edid is working fine, but clamp using icc profile not working(

I create synthetic icc using displayCal, then try to use default sRGB profile from windows, nothing works

What might be a problem?

In windows cms I assign regular DisplyP3 profile for this monitor.

What is not working? Details.

Also have another monitor from KTC and for it clamp from edid working in reverse)

I checked, the monitor itself is wide gamut, but edid reporting wrong primaries, close to sRGB space. When activating clamp to sRGB colors became more saturated)

Then EDID is wrong, do not trust it for that monitor.

When activating clamp to rec.2020 colors saturate even more))

Because that input does not work as you think. It is relying on some kind of “novideo_srgb” inside monitor where you feed Rec2020 content to display and it reencodes those data to native colorspace.

Dato
    Participant

I do not see effect when using icc clamp in novideo_srgb, image dont became less saturated.

Where can I look, what to check for fixing this?

Also what I need to choose in windows cms->advanced tab->device profile, by default there is sRGB profile?

I think maybe its related, dont no

noiremk2
    Participant

I seemed to get better grey accuracy when calibrating to a 2.2 curve in displaycal and loading that in novideo, just to confirm. If I want to improve accuracy with another profiling, I would set gamma to “as measured” for the icc profile?

Do I need to do anything special to stop displaycal from wiping the gpu gamma, or is it fine to just run it as measured for a better icc ontop of novideo?

And side question, when not calibrating to a gamma curve, it seems novideo doesn’t correct for white point? My monitor isn’t super well-behaved with the RGB controls, is that working as intended?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by noiremk2.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS