notebook – brightness level during calibration?

Home Forums Help and Support notebook – brightness level during calibration?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Guayaseal
    Participant

I have a T430s ThinkPad witch ArchLinux and X-rite x1 display pro calibrator. I’m trying to calibrate my LG 140wd2 display. The problem I experience is:

What brightness level should be set during calibration? I tried twice with 366cd/m2 and 180cd/m2 and the profiles I’ve obtained are noticeably different. You can answer: ‘use your normal brightness level’. Yes, but I’m using different brightness levels for different light and battery conditions. It doesn’t make much sense to have 15 ICC profiles (I have 15 brightness levels). I’d like to have one, the most universal one. With which cd/m2 level should I start the measurements?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Guayaseal.

Vincent
    Participant

the profiles I’ve obtained are noticeably different.

Where are they different? No data no support. We will not guess.

You can answer: ‘use your normal brightness level’. Yes, but I’m using different brightness levels for different light and battery conditions. It doesn’t make much sense to have 15 ICC profiles (I have 15 brightness levels). I’d like to have one, the most universal one. With which cd/m2 level should I start the measurements?

Track uncalibrated white point at several brightness settings. If it varies too much in color (CIE xy), screen is bad and there is nothing you can do about it other than several profiles.

Also disable auto dimming feature because this breaks measurement. Each computer may need to disable it in different places and sometimes is a intel GPU feature not easy to disable. This BAD auto dimming is content aware. with most content white it keeps off, when most content in screen is dark it starts to dim.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Vincent.

Guayaseal
    Participant

I’m attaching two exemplary profiles. The difference is visible in the sense of different contrast / saturation

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Looks like a typical bad display irregular color volume using some of these cheap low gamut white led. WP on each profile looks “close enough” although calibration curves in red green are slightly different, maybe due poor display behavior.

Choose a middle point brightness and live with it. Display is bad.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Vincent.

Guayaseal
    Participant

If I had IPS display or EISO monitor I would not need calibration 😉 For ThinkPad T430s there are horrible Samsung displays (everything red! angles!!), trashy AUO or LG Philips. I have the last one which is the best choice I can have.

However I believe that some recommendations for notebook brightness level during calibration do exist..?

Vincent
    Participant

However I believe that some recommendations for notebook brightness level during calibration do exist..?

If your display is unstable… choose the middle point of the brightness range you use. It was explained on previous message.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Every monitor needs calibration.

Guayaseal
    Participant

EISO-> EIZO

The good news is that for 180cd/m2, 140cd/m2 and 80cd/m2 calibration results seem to be the same. So the conclusion is: it is safe NOT to use the maximal brightness (366cd/m2 is presumably too strenuous and adds color distortion)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS