not sure what settings and correction to use

Home Forums Help and Support not sure what settings and correction to use

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

golfer57
    Participant

Hello all,

I am knew to the group and have a question for anyone who can help me. I really need the help.

I am using the i1display studio calibrator from i believe xrite. I have looked and looked and dont know what the hell to use. The current settings i have and used to calibrate and profile my monitor are I believe that i used the default gamma 2.2 and the correction was spectral: lcd quantum dot led (samsung qled q9). what happened when completed and downloaded to my system is now the white has a tint of blue and the complete black area’s are blue (very blue, like if you use photoshop and use the clipping button on the histogram and when you are too black it clips it blue, that is what it looks like).

So my question is what is the correct settings and correction that I should be using.

I have a samsung LED , Model: LS22E310HSJ/ZA . I am using the i1display studio for the calibrator and the DisplayCal software. The software that comes with the unit does not find the device, even tho the computer knows and shows it installed.

I am at a loss at what to do. I am sure that one of the setting if not both are incorrect and when the program is running is telling me to adjust the blue or some other color to much.

Calibration tab was set to interactive display adjustment checked and the other settings as mesured. profiling tab was auto optimized i believe when first run and 3d lut was all set to whatever the default was.

Any help that someone can give me here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Wire
    Participant

If you’ve messed around with the gains/levels in the TV color controls, undo those changes.

DisplayCal is a program where until you learn and realize why you want to change a setting, you go with the defaults. Powerful controls mean getting things wrong if you don’t know what they do.

While DCal presents you with options for calibration such as tonal, response, white point, etc., it’s wise to skip until you know a specific reason why you need something else.

For example, if your computer and apps are ICC aware, and this is getting to be pretty common for modern setups, whatever calibration you choose, the color management subsystem will do a good job of fitting your content to it (e.g., don’t choose, just use default).

The choice of a specific calibration is a refinement for a particular purpose, most notably for a use-case where an app is not fully color management aware. You give the display a personality to make it fit the use case. On a computer, this is always a byzantine matter of understanding what specific apps do and why. But for modern OS with an active display profiles, most apps won’t be stupid.

Also know that the calibration that any profiling package can perform through the profile is limited to color-balance and tonal response under the limits of the display connection. It can’t limit gamut, so it can’t give the display a complete personality.

UHD HDR is a bugaboo everywhere right now.

For these and other reasons which will make your eyes roll into the back of your head, a good place to do calibration of the display itself.

Put another way, you need to know what personality you want the display to have, and use its controls to get that personality. Then it becomes a question of whether the display supports it, and does it match whatever is feeding it.

Simplest approach is set whie to taste in display, then use DisplayCal defaults, to profile the display and run color managed apps
    -OR-
    Give the display a personality that agrees with the output of the apps you are using. An example would be if you hook up a streaming box, or disc player, or game console, it’s not gonna have access to your computer, and your computer is not around to calibrate the display, so any personality it has is a matter between the player and your display. You can see how you really need some standards.

Yet DisplayCal or another package can still help you set white using the display controls.

There’s a point of view where can imagine your computer as just a vastly more configurable player, which some or all of its parts know to use ICC profiles. But this is a separate matter for the display’s personality.

If you get where I am going here, you need to be aware that calibration can happen in at least 3 places and these all interact to some degree:

1. The display itself
    2. The GPU in the computer
    3. The ICC color management libraries for apps

And maybe elsewhere, depending on your setup. For example, this is where you might hear about video color stylists using special LUT profiles in their grading app which incorporate both a look and a calibration..

Your setup is an ordinary use case. You want the display to have an built-in personality that is not stupid and garish, let the profiling package ensure that its whitepoint and gray-tracking are good via GPU, and let color managed app (e.g., video player) do its magic. If your display is calibrated to G2.2 or G2.4 or any other choice, the color-management will  handle it. If it’s white is tasteful but not a precise standard, you will prolly be fine with it.

So in your current state, you have gotten off beaten path to a bad display white adjustment (1) and this has messed up the situation for (2) and (3). Reset the TV color and reprofile.

Once you’ve gone around the block on a basic default, you can start looking at incrementally refining the calibration. To do this you need to know your use case, and what each control that you adjust does. You can go at it step by step.

TVs happen to be very tricky to align because the designers mix psychology and evolving trends into the controls and very rarely express the controls according to well-defined rules. They also have dynamic behaviors and gimmicks that can cause problems.

You end sorting out vague modes like “Movie” and “Game” with highly vendor specific features and controls that reset or obviate other controls. The best place to start for ordinary use is with the most nondescript personality: like “Normal” or “Standard” as you just want the display’s basic response so that everything up-stream  can make the most of it. You should like for enhancement modes and features with gimmicky names and consider disabling them, but its a can-o’worms.

Unfortunately, right as everything was becoming super well-defined and clear with HDTV, the industry decided to make a vast improvement to UHD-TV, with tons more config, way more complicated signaling and display response,  and arcane settings and rules for backwards compatibility, etc—just enormous complexity a nightmare. The TV industry refuses to ever get done improving things, and is always marketing “the next big thing”by  which churning is a happy matter for sales because it invalidates the last big thing so you can keep re-buying.

It can be quite fun!

So back to your first principles:

• Reset your TV
    • Reset DsiplayCal
    • Go with default options and get that working
    • Refine things from there, one point at a time based on understanding your goals. If you don’t have any goals, that’s fine, leave it alone 🙂

Salaam

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS