Not getting test pattern on external display

Home Forums Help and Support Not getting test pattern on external display

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AlanStoneLangdon
    Participant

I am not able to get the grey box on my external display, so that I can start profiling. I have done this before successfully, but on a different computer (Davinci Resolve 17.0 on a MacBook Pro 2017 intel running Mojave). Now I am using Davinci Resolve 17.3.2 on a 13″ 2020 MBP M1 running Big Sur 11.6.1 , and the instrument is still the iDisplay Pro. The external display is a DELL, and it is connected via HDMI to the UltraStudio Monitor 3G which is connected to the Mac via CalDigits thunderbolt dock. This is the same setup as before as well. Da Vinci is set to “Release video device when not in focus”, BTW.

I am able to playback the timeline in the external display, so the UltraStudio is recognized by Resolve. But when I go through the steps that DisplayCal has for calibrating an external display (not the GUI), the grey box test pattern shows up in the main GUI monitor instead of the external display via UltraStudio. Interesting: I have noticed that when I choose to use a single curve + matrix (due to Apple’s CMM), something I initially believe is not what I want, but… when I choose Yes in this case, I do get a grey box (off to the right of the UltraStudio display, this is strange) ONLY when I jump back to DaVinci. But it does not stay when I go back to DisplayCal so I can start profiling.

What am ai doing wrong?  Many thanks to any help you can give.

AlanStoneLangdon
    Participant

Dear Florian-

I am still at a loss, Florian, is it possible that you can help me?

The most recent error message is Arrno 32: Broken Pipe.

I was wondering if I had already installed Argyll, and it’s possible that not although I can’t remember. I downloaded the Argyll package but am not able to install it. I follow the instructions for using Terminal but it does not find the $Home folder and neither the .profile  file.

I would truly love to use DisplayCal again with Resolve, but for some reason it is not working since I started using my MacBook Pro M1 with resolve 17.3.2

My measurement hardware is the i1 Display Pro, which is old from what I am understanding and perhaps this is part of the issue?

Thank you!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

AlanStoneLangdon
    Participant

Solved! I was able to get MacOS to trust the app and finally I was able to finish the calibration and profile. The picture resulting from this looks pretty darn good, so I think I used the correct settings, etc.

Although, I read in the DisplayCal documentation that Tetrahedral option for 3D LUT management can potentially render more accurate results, and I tried it. It looks very saturated and I am afraid it does not represent the test image I am using correctly… so should I trust Tetrahedral or keep Trilinear (the default and also looks more accurate)?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS