Noob difficulties

Home Forums Help and Support Noob difficulties

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

haps
    Participant

I am getting a bit overwhelmed with all the settings and am looking for some guidance for a simple laptop display calibration. I have seen various tutorials recommend different settings.

For White Point I have seen Custom at 6500 or 5000 recommended…and also “as measured.

For White Level I have seen 120 recommended…also “as measured”.

Also given its a laptop display with no control options other than brightness should I choose “Interactive Display Adjustment” and use the brightness slider to center the scale on the bottom of that window? I can’t control the RGB sliders. If I should leave “Interactive Display” unchecked what brightness level should the display be set at for the calibration?

Any other settings to worry about?

haps
    Participant

Also…cant seem to edit original post…my motivation to do this was because on several laptop panels the blues are too purple. Rather than looking royal blue…#0000ff looks neon purple. I have tried premade profiles with no success so can calibrating and making a custom profile solve this? So far using default settings its not helping.

Using an X-Rite i1d on Linux if it matters.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am getting a bit overwhelmed with all the settings and am looking for some guidance for a simple laptop display calibration

It’s as easy as selecting the “Laptop” preset under “Settings” at the top of the main window.

my motivation to do this was because on several laptop panels the blues are too purple. Rather than looking royal blue…#0000ff looks neon purple. I have tried premade profiles with no success so can calibrating and making a custom profile solve this?

If the laptop has roughly >= 90% sRGB coverage, it’ll work. Otherwise, the laptop’s color gamut is too small for high quality color work.

haps
    Participant

Panelook.com says it has ” 72% (CIE1931)”. I am not sure how that translates. I have run a few “slow” calibrations with 6500/120 and “as measured” and while it looks a tad different when the profiles are applied it doesn’t really true up the blue as far as I can tell. More so just seems to affect overall color temp. perhaps I am expecting too much.

I totally missed the laptop setting as it was up a bit and I failed to scroll, sorry. What level should the display brightness be set at prior to starting?

Vincent
    Participant

Also…cant seem to edit original post…my motivation to do this was because on several laptop panels the blues are too purple. Rather than looking royal blue…#0000ff looks neon purple. I have tried premade profiles with no success so can calibrating and making a custom profile solve this? So far using default settings its not helping.

Using an X-Rite i1d on Linux if it matters.

DisplayCAL “calibration” as like any other software that relies in graphics card LUT calibration cannot change gamut. It just builds a correction to a desired whitepoint keeping all greys neutral to this white (or the closest it can be due to hardware limitations) with a desired gamma.

Your laptop could have a gamut that when intersected with sRGB gives you 99% of coverage, but that does not mean that it’s gamut is equal to sRGB. It could be bigger, bigger in the blue purple zone so #0000FF in your laptop’s NATIVE blue could not be sRGB #0000FF.

If you want to see sRGB #0000FF you need more tools than just GPU LUT calibration: you need a color managed app or a color managed browser.

“#0000FF” by itself means nothing. What you call royal blue is “#0000FF” in sRGB colorspace.
    As long as color coordinates (CIE XYZ coordinates) from “sRGB #0000FF” are “inside” your display gamut, your display could render it properly with other “numbers” (that could be different from “#0000FF” number in display’s native gamut), but you’ll need color management to do that (actually some additional conditions should be met, like rounding errors but let’s take a simple approach in order that you understand what’s happening here in an easy way).

Firefox is color managed but if you want to see HTML colors rendered as sRGB colors you’ll have to configure it in “about:config”. For example:
    gfx.color_management.enablev4=true (to use XYZLUT profiles, may be slow when you use them)
    gfx.color_management.mode=1 (render images without profile or HTML colors as sRGB colors)
    gfx.color_management.rendering_intent=1 (relative colorimetric instead of perceptual)

If you want that GIMP renders sRGB #0000FF properly, you should use its color management options: image should have sRGB profile, GIMP should know your display profile.

In order to check your display’s sRGB coverage  you could use DisplayCAL info tools for 2D or 3D gamut plots against a colorspace of your choice.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

haps
    Participant

That’s far more depth than I need or want to get into but thank yo for explaining. Where should I set the brightness to do a laptop display calibration since that is the only factor I can adjust prior to starting?

Vincent
    Participant

Probably you shouldn’t set any brightness value in DisplayCAL. White point in laptops or AIOs like an iMac is corrected in graphics card. If you set a target brightness value in cd/m2 and configure your display to that brightnees in interactive popup screen (that screen with RGB bars that you canot modify), after calibration you’ll get a lower value.

My advice is that in interactive popup screen  set manually brightnes +10% from your desired target as a “first guess”.  White point correction will drop brightness because it will limit one or two channels output. The further it is the more it will drop.
    If daylight 6500K is very far from your laptop’s native white, then maybe you should not use daylight 6500K as target calibration but a closer “white” (in daylight curve) or even native white because whitepoint correction ( = channel output limitation) will be huge.

DisplayCAL has a tool in Tools>Report>uncalibrated screen report to show you where is your native white, closer daylight white in kelvin, and distance from your white to that closest “white” (be it warm or cool white).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS