Non Monotonic

Home Forums Help and Support Non Monotonic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SKAS
    Participant

I have been using DispCalGui for many years on all my computers and notebooks in the lab.  Amazing software!

I have an old HP Elitebook which had a very poorly calibrated display.   I used DispCalGui in 2017 to successfully generate a calibration using the Spyder2Pro.    The calibrated monitor looks pretty amazing.

As it had been two years, I was updating all the calibrations in my lab.   They all worked with the latest version of Dispcal and Argyll except on the HP Notebook.   I keep getting the “non monotonic” error.      If I reduce the number of patches to <475, it will run through, and then still give the same error.

I’ve reverted back to my 2017 calibration file which works fine.    I’m just curious as to why it has stopped working with the latest version when it worked fine two years ago (and previous to that as well).

Thanks….

SKA

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I keep getting the “non monotonic” error.

please state the exact error message. Also, are you sure it is an error and not just a warning?

SKAS
    Participant

Thanks Florian – if patchers are above 400 – it is a warning right after first set of calibration patches and then it does not continue.

If I set to 175 – it goes through the whole calibration patch process. When creating the final curves, it gives the warning and then says that final curves could not be computed because of the non-Monotonic error.

I’ll have to set up the calibration again to get the exact error…. it was just strange that in 2017 it was fine. I’m still using that old Cal file and it seems ok.

Love your software by the way. Been a huge fan.

Take care…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Non-monotonic means the display is not linear or something external (ambient light, another program) interfered. Normally, increasing RGB values result in increasing luminance (“monotonic”), so “non-monotonic” means increasing RGB does not increase (or maybe even decrease) luminance which is a display fault. Does this display or operating system have any “dynamic” picture “enhancement” features? If so, turn them off.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Spyder2Pro

I only just see this. The Spyder2 is a very old device (10+ years) with organic (gelatine) filters that degrade over time. It may have outlived its usefulness.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS