Newbie Questions

Home Forums Help and Support Newbie Questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kenneth Evans
    Participant

I just bought a ColorMunki Display and am trying to use DisplayCAL (on Windows 7, 64-bit and eventually Windows 10). I first installed the xRite software that came with the ColorMunki and made a profile with it. I have read the documentation several times and tried out most items on the interface, spending over a day so far. I still have the following issues:

1. I am unclear about obtaining the corrections for the ColorMunki. There was a dialog when I first ran DisplayCal, with Cancel, Select file, and Auto buttons. Select file takes me to the xRite installation directory, but I have no idea what files to select. I probably selected Auto, though I am not sure what that does. Afterward, each time I start DisplayCAL, I still get this dialog, so it apparently wants something else.

2. There are indications I can use the xRite installation CD without installing the xRite software. However, the software on the CD is an old version, and I had to install the latest via a download. One machine is a Surface Book, with only an external USB DVD drive. If it allows me to browse the CD, I still need to know what file and if the old version is OK.

3. I would like to get Delta E 2000 values. I don’t see these any place. By selecting Profile information for the profile listed, I can see the ACCURACY and GAMUT values for the profile I created in DisplayCAL. However, it indicates it is de76, not de00.

4. I would like to compare with the xRite profile I generated, but I don’t see any way to do this. The only profiles in the menus appear to be those created by DisplayCAL and located in the AppData. I still need to decide on using xRite, which is faster, or DisplayCAL, which is likely better, so having a comparison of the results is invaluable.

5. When doing the calibration, at some time the main windows comes back up – on top of the progress window, which is still progressing. The main window hides most of the progress window and cannot be moved, nor the progress window be moved to where it is all visible.

6. I am concerned that xRite is trying to load its profile and DisplayCAL is trying to load its profile at startup. So far, I seem to be getting the DisplayCAl one, but I would like to be sure. (They are visually indistinguishable to me.) I also got an error with “Instrument access failed”. I got rid of this by stopping the xRite service (discussed in another post). However, I would like to eliminate future problem and insure it isn’t loading the wrong profile unbeknownst to me.

7. I want to install color profiling on a Lenovo P70 with built-in correction. I am pretty unsure how to proceed there. Reviews indicate the xRite built-in calibration is not so good. They discuss de 200 values (see 3.)

Thanks in advance.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Kenneth Evans
    Participant

Trying to answer some of my own questions:

On the other hand, DisplayCal apparently needs the software to get corrections.

No, all it needs to do is download a 150 KB file, so it should be fast and easy as long as you have internet access (tick the “i1 Profiler” box and click “Auto”).

There seems to be the possibility that the xRite software will attempt to install the xRite profile I created in conflict with DisplayCAL’s trying to install the DisplayCal profile.

They don’t conflict, but the X-Rite calibration loader becomes superfluous once DisplayCAL is installed (be sure to pick the DisplayCAL profile loader option during installation).

Do I actually NEED to uninstall xRite as opposed to just stopping the service.

Just stopping the service should suffice.

In short, what is best way to get DisplayCAL working with a ColorMunki Display and with everything it needs, including on a Lenovo P70 with built-in profiler.

Just follow the prompts on first launch, which should offer to automatically import the corrections as mentioned above. Afterwards, you’re all set.

1. and 2. Answered by Florian above.  You don’t need the CD or an installation. It gets it from the web. Apparently you get the dialog each time. Select the “i1 Profiler” box and click Auto.

6. Is also is answered there. You don’t have to uninstall xRite, just stop the X-Rite service.  It will use the DisplayCAL profile, not the xRite one (if you picked the DisplayCAL profile loader option during installation).

3. and 4. I missed the “Measurement report…” in the Verification tab. This seems to measure 54 patches and create an HTML page with lots of information. In the HTML page you can select to use any of the Delta E definitions, in particular CIE 2000. The values in the report are at the time you create it, not when the profile was created.

I tried to do the same by setting the profile created by the xRite software to the display, then using <Current> for the settings in DisplayCAL.  However, when getting the profile information, it said Version 4 ICC profiles are not supported.  (The xRite profile is version 4.2. The DisplayCAL profile is 2.2.)  When trying “Measurement report…”, it said “xxx.ICM is not an ICC or .cal file.

So I can’t compare.  I do note however that the xRite profile is noticeably different to the eye (much warmer), and the calibration curves are significantly different. They also miss the point (255,255).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Kenneth Evans.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Clean up
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS