Newbie questions – please excuse

Home Forums General Discussion Newbie questions – please excuse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jimbob
    Participant

Hi all. Not very technical newbie here.

I’m using displayCal with an OEM i1 Display Pro.

I’m connected from a Macbook via DVI  to a Panasonic BT300 plasma by mirroring my desktop.

The plasma is usually fed with Rec 709 images from HD video sources so I only want to use displayCal to get a general line-up for the TV using the TV’s controls for 10 point whitebalance etc. I don’t yet have a way to apply a LUT to the chain but later I will get an eeColor LUT box.

Q1. Do I need to change settings on the TV (gamma, color temp,  bright/contrast) before startin with displayCal?

Q2. Doesn’t any existing profile on my Macbook interfere with calibration? Do I not need to switch existing profile off?

Q3. displayCal says my i1 needs to download  a correction suitable to my display. I let it do auto download but I don’t see any new preset appear in the dropdown list for corrections.

Q4. At the top of the window, the dropdown for settings, what should this be on for my first calibration?

thanks for any help

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I only want to use displayCal to get a general line-up for the TV using the TV’s controls for 10 point whitebalance etc.

In case you can run Windows in Bootcamp on your Mac, you may want to look into HCFR which may be better suited to the job. DisplayCAL is geared towards ICC profiling and 3D LUTs.

Q1. Do I need to change settings on the TV (gamma, color temp, bright/contrast) before startin with displayCal?

You can, but it’s not a must. You should adjust the TV whitepoint during interactive adjustment though.

Q2. Doesn’t any existing profile on my Macbook interfere with calibration?

No.

Q3. displayCal says my i1 needs to download a correction suitable to my display.

For a plasma, “Spectral: Plasma” is a reasonable choice.

Q4. At the top of the window, the dropdown for settings, what should this be on for my first calibration?

Possibly the “Video (D65, Rec. 1886)” preset.

Jimbob
    Participant

Thanks. I’ve been using the software for a day now and have sone more questions for you brainiacs

Q5 My plasma has advanced options for color gamut (Native, EBU, Rec 709). Do i choose any particular one before calibration?

Q6 I ran a full calibration from my laptop on my Plasma BT300. After calibration i ran verification which it passed with little errors . I ran verification again with softproofing for rec709 and thistime got max errors of 5-6. Am I verifying wrong?

Q7 I tried also a calibration using Resolve to pattern generate. When setting up Resolve should I be monitoring with Video Levels or Full Range?

Thanks again

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Q5 My plasma has advanced options for color gamut (Native, EBU, Rec 709). Do i choose any particular one before calibration?

For calibration without 3D LUT, use the setting that allows you to come closest to your target (usually Rec. 709 for video playback). With a 3D LUT, you usually want to maximize the gamut the LUT can work with instead, so probably “Native”.

I ran verification again with softproofing for rec709 and thistime got max errors of 5-6. Am I verifying wrong?

Perhaps. Have you created a profile, or just adjusted the plasma manually (or using a 3D LUT)? In case of the latter, you have to check “Use simulation profile as target profile” and make sure the tone curve parameters match what you adjusted it to.

Q7 I tried also a calibration using Resolve to pattern generate. When setting up Resolve should I be monitoring with Video Levels or Full Range?

Depends on how the plasma is set up, and if it accepts full range signals without clipping. Normally TVs use video levels.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS