“new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed’” Error

Home Forums Help and Support “new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed'” Error

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Sinani210
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I recently got an i1Diplay Pro Plus and wanted to try using it with DisplayCAL. However, almost every time (see more on that below) I try using it (i.e. after hitting “Start Measurement”), I get the error mentioned in the title:  Error – new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed’.

I looked through some other threads on this topic on this forum, and tried to follow the advice I saw there, but it doesn’t seem to have worked. Those threads were also a year or two old, so it’s possible that advice isn’t pertinent anymore.

For some possibly relevant background:

• I have not installed any X-Rite software. I only plugged the colorimeter into my computer and let Windows install drivers.
    • I have tried using it in a USB C port with the included adaptor, a USB 3.0 port on my computer directly, and through a passthrough USB 2.0 cable. It didn’t seem to make a difference.
    • I have tried with and without ArgyllCMS installed. It also didn’t seem to make a difference.

Now I mentioned above that almost every attempt at running the program resulted in the error. However, sometimes my first attempt after launching DisplayCAL won’t throw the error, and will instead just send me back to the “Display & instrument” screen. I have included a logs for both (these were after I uninstalled ArgyllCMS after trying with it if that matters). The one that throws the error has “_error_” appended to the file name, whereas the one that just crashes is saved with the default name.

Any help would be appreciated!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Sinani210.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Sinani210
    Participant

Just wanted to give this a quick bump. Any help would be appreciated.

Sinani210
    Participant

I wanted to give this one more bump before I give up and go use the included X-Rite software. I still haven’t been able to get DisplayCAL to work since I keep getting the instrument access denied error. Any help that anyone can give me would be really appreciated!

MW
    Participant

Did you try installing device drivers from the DisplayCal tools menu?

Sinani210
    Participant

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

For the device drivers, if you mean the ones under Tools -> Instrument -> Install ArgyllCMS Instrument Drivers, then I have and it sadly didn’t seem to make much difference.

MW
    Participant

Do you have any Razer devices in your system? I ran into a similar issue where a Razer driver hijacked the 1DiplayPro driver. Deleting the driver in Windows device driver solved the issue. You could also use a tool like USBDeview or USB Device Tree Viewer.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by MW.

Sinani210
    Participant

Sorry for the slow response on my end this time. I really appreciate your help.

I do have a Razer mouse. I tried closing all of the Razer software and then uninstalling the mouse through device manager, but I still got the same error. Were you saying I should uninstall all of the Razer software completely, or was my test enough to confirm that it isn’t an issue with interference between the mouse and the colorimeter?

I also tried unplugging basically every USB device I have bar a wireless mouse (just to make sure it wasn’t the Razer one’s fault), and I still got the same error. With that in mind, what exactly would I be looking for in the two USB  software you mentioned?

Thanks again for the help. This error is very annoying and hard to track down so your assistance is very welcomed.

MW
    Participant

The offending driver likes to stick around. You need to uninstall it from Windows Device manager. Plug in your i1Display Pro and look for new devices. Once you found it “uninstall device” in the properties dialog.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Sinani210
    Participant

Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, you mean to uninstall the colorimeter right, not the mouse?

On that front, I can’t seem to find the Display Pro in device manager. I went to HWiNFO64 and can see it there, but I can’t seem to find it in device manager. Any tips on where I should be looking and what it might be called?

Edit: If it would be helpful to provide some pictures, just let me know what you’d like to see.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Sinani210.

MW
    Participant

USB Device Tree Viewer. Plug in the colorimeter while running it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by MW.

InterrobangMP
    Participant

So what happened after this? Did you solve the issue? I am having the same one.

Sinani210
    Participant

I got a new computer. I’m sure that’s not the reply you wanted to hear, but unfortunately I don’t think I have anything that can help you out. I’d be interested in hearing what the problem was if you do manage to figure it out though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS