New Member – Need Direction

Home Forums Help and Support New Member – Need Direction

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Samazar
    Participant

I am a new member and hope that Florian and other members will be nice enough to steer me in the right direction.

I am an AV enthusiast and would like to learn how to calibrate so that I can effectively calibrate the following display devices:-

1. My projector (Lamp based DLP), am also looking into a Laser based projector.
    2. My computer Monitor: Nec MultiSync EA275 UHD.
    3. LED TV Panels.

Essentally and a s a priority, I would like to get my projector calibrated. I have the Xrite DTP94 Probe but would like to get the i1DisplayPro3 which I believe is regarded as the best affordable probe. I read somewhere that one has to be careful to buy the right version or revision because it supports higher luminance levels associated with brighter HDR based 4K TVs.

I have been looking at various software such as CalMAN, ChromaPure, LightSpace but don’t mind working with DisplayCAL or LightSpace ZRO to learn about calibration first. Is DisplayCAL as good as LightSpace ZRO for manual calibrations ?

Can DisplayCAL generate ICC profiles for my computer monitor ? – I am an Apple user, my monitor is attached to my Apple Laptop (MacBook Pro).

ChromaPure says that they calibrate the i1DisplayPro probe with a reference meter and provide correction files for various display devices including Lamp and Laser projectors. If I buy the standard retail version of the i1DisplayPro3, can I obtain correction files from DisplayCAL members ?

Also, it would be nice to have  semi-automatic calibration workflow so that my Laptop controls both the target patches as well as the meter for efficiency and speed.

Please help me make the right decisions.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Samazar.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Samazar.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I read somewhere that one has to be careful to buy the right version or revision because it supports higher luminance levels associated with brighter HDR based 4K TVs.

I think there is a special “HDR” version of the i1D3 (which can read up to 2000cd/m2, while the “normal” version can “only” go up to 1000cd/m2). Unless you have a really bright HDR display, you probably don’t need to worry too much.

Is DisplayCAL as good as LightSpace ZRO for manual calibrations ?

DisplayCAL doesn’t support manual calibration (like HCFR or ChromaPure), if you want to use it for display calibration, you have to use ICC profiles or 3D LUTs (both are supported by DisplayCAL). Results should be comparable to or surpass other 3D LUT based solutions.

Can DisplayCAL generate ICC profiles for my computer monitor ?

Yes.

If I buy the standard retail version of the i1DisplayPro3, can I obtain correction files from DisplayCAL members ?

The standard X-Rite corrections bundle is included with all software packages that support the i1D3 (although the choice of corrections made available may differ from software to software). The DisplayCAL installer additionally bundles a few community provided corrections, covering about all the current display technologies (with the exception of laser projector). A user database of colorimeter corrections is available as well.

Also, it would be nice to have semi-automatic calibration workflow so that my Laptop controls both the target patches as well as the meter for efficiency and speed.

The only manual part during DisplayCAL calibration (which could also be skipped) is optionally adjusting RGB gains via display device OSD (when available).

Samazar
    Participant

Hi Florian, thank you so much for your reply and sorry for the ultra late response. Is there a reasonably priced outboard device that works with DisplayCAL for 3DLUTs for both SDR and HDR that could be inserted between a projector and AV Receiver or AV Processor?

Found this but it is very expensive and from what I can tell, it can only handle rec709:  https://www.aja.com/products/lut-box

Would it be difficult to implement manual calibration too? I ask because the alternative commercial solutions are very expensive.

From the little I understand, I think you’ve done a fantastic job with DisplayCAL, hope you continue to develop it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS