New Dell U2515H fails on calibration?

Home Forums Help and Support New Dell U2515H fails on calibration?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ben1001
    Participant

Hello,

First of all thanks for this great software package and quite easy to use, even for a novice like me.
    I have some questions.
    I just bought a brand new DELL U2515H. When verifying it fails on a Maximum ΔE*00 of 4.15 on the color blue (#29).
    All the other values are OK ✔✔
    I did several profile runs (also with White and Black level drift compensation, bigger patch set etc) but it still fails on the color  #29.
    Please find the measurement report attached.

Am I doing something wrong or is the screen not ok?
    Does this little deviation mess up the colors or is it barely not noticeable?

My 8 year old Samsung 2493HM was the first time right on.

Furthermore when both screens are calibrated, the Dell is a little bit more ‘reddish’ compared to the Samsung. Has this also to do with the mentioned fail or is this normal?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

just bought a brand new DELL U2515H. When verifying it fails on a Maximum ΔE*00 of 4.15 on the color blue (#29).

You verified against sRGB, and the result you got indicates that the monitor’s gamut is not large enough to encompass the sRGB blue. This is a hardware limitation of the monitor. The discrepancy isn’t large though, so I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Furthermore when both screens are calibrated, the Dell is a little bit more ‘reddish’ compared to the Samsung.

For the best visual match of two or more screens I recommend to use the visual whitepoint editor.

Has this also to do with the mentioned fail or is this normal?

It is quite normal for displays with different panels and backlight to show differences in the visual appearance of white due to the way measurement instruments and the human visual system work. Visual adjustment of the whitepoint can be used as a way to overcome these differences.

Ben1001
    Participant

Hi,

just bought a brand new DELL U2515H. When verifying it fails on a Maximum ΔE*00 of 4.15 on the color blue (#29).

You verified against sRGB, and the result you got indicates that the monitor’s gamut is not large enough to encompass the sRGB blue. This is a hardware limitation of the monitor. The discrepancy isn’t large though, so I wouldn’t be too concerned.

So no worries there.

Furthermore when both screens are calibrated, the Dell is a little bit more ‘reddish’ compared to the Samsung.

For the best visual match of two or more screens I recommend to use the visual whitepoint editor.

Ok, I will try that. Just measure the reference screen and use the measured chromaticity coordinates as input for (re)calibration of the ‘screen to be matched’?

Has this also to do with the mentioned fail or is this normal?

It is quite normal for displays with different panels and backlight to show differences in the visual appearance of white due to the way measurement instruments and the human visual system work. Visual adjustment of the whitepoint can be used as a way to overcome these differences.

Thank you for your quick replies!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok, I will try that. Just measure the reference screen and use the measured chromaticity coordinates as input for (re)calibration of the ‘screen to be matched’?

I’d suggest the following workflow:

• Open two visual whitepoint editors (click the small color wheel next to the whitepoint chromaticity text fields). Drag each one to its respective screen.
    • Adjust only the editor on the screen to be matched.
    • Once you’ve achieved a visual match, put your instrument on the measurement area on the screen to be matched.
    • Click “Measure” on the visual whitepoint editor.
    • The editor will close and the measured white set as reference. You can now re-calibrate/profile.

Ben1001
    Participant

I followed your workflow, it is better now.
    Thank you very much!
    But I guess comparing a 8+ year old monitor and a brand new one is quite difficult (maybe impossible) 😉

What I also see is when the whites match (by means of the visual whitepoint editor), then (darker) photo’s in Lightroom do not match that well  between the two monitors.
    So I tried to tweak things to my satisfaction

Just some other questions:

• In the profile loader, when I select Reset video card gamma table, are the calibration profiles gone from the videocard and am I then looking at uncorrected screens? The profiles are not automatically reloaded then? I notice the icon turns red. So I guess it is not ok…
    • When I press then Load calibration from current display device profiles then the screens are corrected again?

It is unclear to me what those options mean.

Again: thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In the profile loader, when I select Reset video card gamma table, are the calibration profiles gone from the videocard and am I then looking at uncorrected screens?

Yes.

The profiles are not automatically reloaded then?

No, in “Reset video card gamma table” mode, the profile loader actually makes sure that the calibration stays unloaded (until you select “Load calibration from current display profiles” again).

When I press then Load calibration from current display device profiles then the screens are corrected again?

Yes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS