New Calibration Looks Exactly Like Default "Color LCD" Mac Profile

Home Forums Help and Support New Calibration Looks Exactly Like Default "Color LCD" Mac Profile

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Needforname
    Participant

Edited Original Comment: Hello. I just tried DisplayCAL for the first time on my 2018 MacBook Pro 15″ using an older model (but barely used) calibrator (X-Rite i1 Display 2).  I have a couple questions please:

1. Is it normal to end up with my DisplayCal profile looking very similar to the default Mac “Color LCD” profile?
    2. Can I still expect quality calibrations using my older X-Rite i1 Display 2 device? Or do I need to purchase another?
    3. There are a lot of different opinions on what calibration device to purchase. I’ve not been happy with the X-Rite support and how their products become unsupported after just a few years. Since their current “new” calibrators are already a few years old, I don’t see the point in buying one only to have it become obsolete soon. Since Spyder has a brand new SpyderX Elite and currently offering a sale, I’m thinking about going that route. With that said, can anyone recommend it over X-Rite’s devices? And if so, would you recommend using it with DisplayCal or the Spyder software?

Thanks for any feedback to my questions. Excuse my attached documents. I’ve since revised my questions and am not seeing a way to remove them. I’m going to upload a screenshot of my profiled calibration if anyone can comment on how it looks to them. Thanks again.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Needforname.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

1- It is possible, hard to know without testing with a better device

2- Is it a LED macbook? then it’s very likely that an i1d2 will not measue it properly

3- Only two useful options: i1DisplayPro or  Colormunki DIsplay. Don’t buy the second one if you plan to get a monitor with HW in a few years. If you plan to buy a Wacom Cintiq with HW cal, Wacon forces you to buy THEIR i1displayPro (sad but true)

Needforname
    Participant

Hey Vincent. Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate it. Yes my Macbook Pro has a backlit LED display. I’ll have to purcahse a more modern device. I did a test print last night and it surprisingly was very close to my monitor. Just trying to figure out why certain process (CMYK) swatches in my Pantone swatch books look nothing like the equivalent color in Photoshop or Illustrator, even with proofing enabled. Dark purple process swatches look more like medium tone pinks on screen. Despite colors on screen printing accurately. Very confusing.

You mention: i1Display Pro or Colormunki Display. Curious why you mentioned the ColorMunki over the SpyderX Elite? I was thinking aobut the SpyderX Elite because there is currently a sale going on, and it’s cheaper than X-Rite products. I realize the Spyder products have been disappointing in the past, but these newer devices seem better according to some. My reluctance with purchasing an X-Rite product is they appear to already be like 5 years old. When I purchased my i1 Display 2 many years ago, it was only supported for about 2 years. I can’t see purchasing an older device only to have it become obsolete again.

Does Display Cal work with the SpyderX Elite and pretty much all devices? Just curious why you recommend those particular products over others. And would you recommend using Display Cal over the native software that comes with the purchase of a calibration device? Sorry for so many questions. The info available online is so fluctuating. I tried calling X-Rite and they never return my calls (must leave voicemails). They pretty much have only 1 knowledgeable person that they recommend talking to. Quite ridiculous.

Vincent
    Participant

With i1d3 family you can use:
    -vendor spectral corrections (1nm), by vendor software
    -community (10nm, 3nm) + un-official (EDR to CCSS translation with DisplayCAL*) vendor (1nm) spectral correctons, in DisplayCAL
    -common matrix correction IF you can get an spectrophotometer

With SpyderX, AFAIK you can use:
    -vendor corrections (matrix in device or software locked AFAIK)
    -common matrix correction IF you can get an spectrophotometer

and i1d3 should be better behaved in low light… so SpyderX is not a real option

*) This way is how we get a suitable correction for newer WLED PFS for graphic arts like PA271Q, CG2730, CG279X… etc (it was bundled in HP/Xrite HW calibration software fro HPs)

Needforname
    Participant

Thanks again for the insight. Admittedly, many of the terms you used were foreign to me. I Google them and have a better understanding than initially. From my interpretation, you’re saying an X-Rite product would be beneficial to use with DisplayCal because of the software releases that DisplayCAl can run off of.

I’d really like to purchase a SpyderX Elite because of cost reasons, and because it seems the X-Rite calibration devices currently available are many years old. It seems I’d get a longer lifespan from the Spyder device. I’m a newbie with all of this. I’m just looking for a simple approach for calibrating my iMac and Macbook Pro screens for both print and web use. I’ve read that the Spyder software is easy to use, though it would be great to be able to also use the DisplayCal as well, to see which offers the best results.

Sorry for not really understanding your lingo. I don’t want to take up any more of your time, but are you saying the SpyderX Elite or SpyderX Pro are bad options? Would you recommend the ColorMunki instead? I’m wanting an affordable option (under $250). I’d consider an X-Rite device, yet like I mentioned; they seem already quite outdated and I’m concerned the same will happen as with my older i1 which wasn’t supported for very long after I purchased. I’m not well versed enough to understand all of the in depth calibration software approaches, and am looking for something more simple, as I just don’t have the time to learn all of the intricacies of fine tuned custom calibration. Any recommendation for a budget of $250 would be great. Thanks again.

p.s. Do you offer calibration services (maybe through screenshare) where I could pay you to properly set up my calibration and help me better understand why my monitor’s viewing of certain colors don’t match the colors of process swatches from my Pantone books (despite test prints showing pretty accurate)?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Needforname.

Vincent
    Participant

Explaiend in an easy way: with an xrite i1d3 colorimeter (i1displaypro, munki display) you can measure any present or future backlight types as long as vendor provides EDR spectral corrections (even if vendor does it just for a few selected displays, like those HP) or community provides them (and community is very active).

With SpyderX you are limited to whatever it is bundled in device or corrections mabe BY YOU (or by someone hired by you) with an spectrophotometer (matrix corrections).

No services beyond user to user talk on spare time. This is what this forum is, user to user + Florian.

Needforname
    Participant

Thanks Vincent. I’m purchasing the ColorMunki then. Thank you very much for your time and knowledge sharing. When I have time I’ll educate myself on the intricacies of calibration and DisplayCal. Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS