Need help with calibrating two different monitors

Home Forums Help and Support Need help with calibrating two different monitors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mr. T
    Participant

Hi everybody,

after spending several hours trying to calibrate my two monitors, I am frustrated and hoping for help. My setup:
    -dispcalGUI 3.0.6.3 with Argyll 1.8.3
    -colormunki photo
    -DELL U2212HM
    -DELL U2412M

I tried calibrating with several settings: sRGB, LCD (adaptiv HiRes), “-Q 1964_10”  and even the white point is never the same to my eyes. Everything I tried so far, makes it even worse.

Any help appreciated.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Enabling white and black level drift on the “display & instrument” tab may also help.
    The ColorMunki is probably also struggling with dark colors. Try setting calibration speed to “fast” and set patch count on the profiling tab to a lower amount using the slider (“Auto” testchart).

I would recommend to match the whitepoint by eye during interactive display adjustment (i.e. adjust one display, then try to match the other’s whitepoint visually to the first, ignoring the delta E readouts and RGB bars).

Mr. T
    Participant

Hi Florian,

thank you for the quick response. What should I use for other settings like “LCD Adaptive HiRes” or “1964_10”?

Why is the colormunki photo not able to find a perfect white point for both displays?

Best regards,
    Mr. T

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What should I use for other settings like “LCD Adaptive HiRes” or “1964_10”?

“LCD Adaptive” (I’m not sure if the ColorMunki supports the HiRes spectral mode). Normally I’d go with the default CIE 1931 2° observer unless you get a better match with a different observer.

Why is the colormunki photo not able to find a perfect white point for both displays?

All instruments in essence convert spectral color information to tristimulus values (CIE XYZ). To do that, a colorimetric observer function is used, which is modeled after the average human vision. So if an instrument “sees” a color as the same on two different displays, your eyes may not.

Mr. T
    Participant

What should I use for other settings like “LCD Adaptive HiRes” or “1964_10”?

“LCD Adaptive” (I’m not sure if the ColorMunki supports the HiRes spectral mode). Normally I’d go with the default CIE 1931 2° observer unless you get a better match with a different observer.

According to ArgyllCMS it is supporting the HiRes spectral mode, see
    http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#ColorMunki
    But is not supporting “FWA Compensation”… is it enabled in dispcalGUI?

All instruments in essence convert spectral color information to tristimulus values (CIE XYZ). To do that, a colorimetric observer function is used, which is modeled after the average human vision. So if an instrument “sees” a color as the same on two different displays, your eyes may not.

In my view the difference between the displays is enormous after  calibration and profiling. I thought a spectrometer could help to make them (almost) look the same, am I wrong?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

According to ArgyllCMS it is supporting the HiRes spectral mode, see
    http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#ColorMunki

Alright, then you can use it of course.

But is not supporting “FWA Compensation”… is it enabled in dispcalGUI?

You can ignore the FWA compensation warning, that’s a quirk in the current Argyll CMS release. It doesn’t have any adverse effects.

In my view the difference between the displays is enormous after  calibration and profiling. I thought a spectrometer could help to make them (almost) look the same, am I wrong?

Did you match the whitepoints during interactive adjustment as I mentioned above? That is a first (and quite important) step in getting a good match. Also, keep in mind that only color managed applications will show correct colors – calibration only affects whitepoint & grayscale. This is especially true on Windows and Linux where the desktop is generally not color managed (unlike Mac OS X).

Mr. T
    Participant

Did you match the whitepoints during interactive adjustment as I mentioned above? That is a first (and quite important) step in getting a good match. Also, keep in mind that only color managed applications will show correct colors – calibration only affects whitepoint & grayscale. This is especially true on Windows and Linux where the desktop is generally not color managed (unlike Mac OS X).

During the interactive adjustment I tried to set the whitepoint for the U2212HM with the help of the colormunki, which seems to be ok. To match then the whitepoint by eye for the U2412M seems to be impossible.  If I set the whitepoint for the U2412M with the spectrometer, the whitepoint seems to be too warm. One step at the Red slider has a huge effect on the whitepoint for the U2412M. I will try it again in the other direction.

For testing the color, I used Firefox which (as far as I know) should support the profile. If I slide the window from one display to the other,  faces look much warmer at the U2412M. There seems to be too much red everywhere.

Thank you again for the response.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

To match then the whitepoint by eye for the U2412M seems to be impossible.

Maybe the granularity of the RGB controls on the monitor is not fine enough?

For testing the color, I used Firefox which (as far as I know) should support the profile. If I slide the window from one display to the other,

Firefox does not (to my knowledge) support multi-monitor setups in terms of color management, it always uses one profile for everything, which is by default the profile of the first display unless you specifically set the profile it should use (using e.g. the “Color Management” add-on or changing gfx.color_management.display_profile in about:config). Like most applications, it also requires a restart each time a profile is changed. The only application(s) I know with decent multi-monitor profile support out-of-the-box are from Adobe’s graphical suite (e.g. Photoshop).

Mr. T
    Participant

To match then the whitepoint by eye for the U2412M seems to be impossible.

Maybe the granularity of the RGB controls on the monitor is not fine enough?

I tried it the different way and had calibrated the U2412M first. Then I tried to match the whitepoint by eye of the U2212HM. It was ok… then I started to calibrate and profile the U2212HM which ruined the whitepoint again  : (

For testing the color, I used Firefox which (as far as I know) should support the profile. If I slide the window from one display to the other,

Firefox does not (to my knowledge) support multi-monitor setups in terms of color management, it always uses one profile for everything, which is by default the profile of the first display unless you specifically set the profile it should use (using e.g. the “Color Management” add-on or changing gfx.color_management.display_profile in about:config). Like most applications, it also requires a restart each time a profile is changed. The only application(s) I know with decent multi-monitor profile support out-of-the-box are from Adobe’s graphical suite (e.g. Photoshop).

I didn’t know that. At the moment I am using the U2412M as primary display and it seems to be ok. I deleted the profile and calibration for the U2212HM… didnt find another solution.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I tried it the different way and had calibrated the U2412M first. Then I tried to match the whitepoint by eye of the U2212HM. It was ok… then I started to calibrate and profile the U2212HM which ruined the whitepoint again  : (

Note that you have to set whitepoint on the “Calibration” tab in DisplayCAL to “As measured”.

Mr. T
    Participant

Thank you, that helped a lot : )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS