Need help to understand reports or display

Home Forums Help and Support Need help to understand reports or display

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

PasProfil
    Participant

I barely see cuts and steps with a well defined border.

Sorry to ask: Is Displaycal trap app the option where Displaycal ask if we want that Displaycal install itself the icc file instead of the system?

Vincent
    Participant

I barely see cuts and steps with a well defined border.

Sorry to ask: Is Displaycal trap app the option where Displaycal ask if we want that Displaycal install itself the icc file instead of the system?

It ask you to use OS loader or DisplayCAL loader (tray app)

PasProfil
    Participant

OK I tried to correct CAL 1 sRGB 120cdm D6000 HW cal in Dell display with a profile by Displaycal. See screen captures of my settings and the report. Are my settings where correct for my purpose?

Any comments?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Seems OK but IDNK what are you trying to achieve. The choice of profile type in DisplayCAL may change depending on what you want.

For example, you chose as profiling target to capture the behavior of calibrated screen in very high detail (XYZLUT) and it’s OK since you have a Quadro, so you can use some funcionality in PS to avoid rounding errors.
    Other people may choose to use a highly idealized profile (single curve + matrix + black point compensation) to evade some rounding errors in color managed apps when Quadro functionality is not avaliable (GIMP for example, or Illustrator, or InDesign).

If DUCCS calibration is “good” (just whitepoint is off by a little) my choice would be that kind of idealized profile if that CAL1 is meant to be used in web design/publishing. I may loose a little in profile accuracy but those other apps (Illustrator* , InDesign*) will have less rounding errors (like color managed induced banding).
    *=AFAIK (CC2018) only PS in Adobe Suite allows to use 10bit output (or dithering), LR uses dithering so it’s OK whatever GPU you own but Illustrator or InDesign will truncate output to 8bit without dithering . For this apps you may want to avoid such rounding errors more than improve a little accuracy, YMMV. I would choose less banding at the cost of a little accuracy.

PasProfil
    Participant

Seems OK but IDNK what are you trying to achieve. The choice of profile type in DisplayCAL may change depending on what you want.

Thanks again. Here what I want as an amateur. I want the best on screen picture when I use Internet, Firefox etc. with CAL 1 HW in sRGB. No needs other than personnal use of the display. And I tried first this to see if I understand correctly how to do it.

Second, and most importantly, I want the best quality with Lightroom for editing on paper my photos. For that I want to get the best wide gamut available and it is native HW CAL 2.  For that I made calibration and profiling  with Displaycal for personnal color preset OSD and a HW CAL 2 with DUCCS. If I am wright, the best is HW CAL but I saw the error in the report above. So I would like to correct CAL 2 default with a displaycal profile as  suggested here.

What settings in Displaycal would you suggest to me for this CAL 2 correction and objective?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by PasProfil.

Vincent
    Participant

What settings in Displaycal would you suggest to me for this CAL 2 correction and objective?

Written above which profiling options are more useful depending on what you want.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS