Need help. SpyderX Pro at 50 percent off or still go with 1 of the i1s?

Home Forums General Discussion Need help. SpyderX Pro at 50 percent off or still go with 1 of the i1s?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Darkmatter
    Participant

I just found out that today is the last day to upgrade my now dead Spyder5 Pro to a SpyderX Pro at 50% off.

The problem is that I was going to get an i1Display Pro Plus since it’s apparently more accurate (but I don’t know by how much) and has the ability to be upgraded to newer monitor tech later on, where as the SpyderX apparently doesn’t.

There is also a Studio model that can also make a printer profile as well, but, I believe it still uses the now quite older i1Display Pro’s tech.

I’m not sure what to do and time is running out. :/

Help me! Lol

DM

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

I still think the i1 Display Pro or even Colormunki Display are a better deal. Another consideration is if you chose to upgrade to a HW calibrated monitor, in that case only the i1 Display Pro is supported.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Actually I have an Asus PA329C. It was an upgrade from the Q I used to have but developed a problem, so they sent me a C.

I think their HW calibration software also recognizes the SpyderX, but I don’t know 100% for sure.

DM

Vincent
    Participant

Actually I have an Asus PA329C. It was an upgrade from the Q I used to have but developed a problem, so they sent me a C.

I think their HW calibration software also recognizes the SpyderX, but I don’t know 100% for sure.

DM

Their HW calibration solution is mostly useless, unless some kind of update I’m not aware of. Actually a lot of these low cost companies seems to move HW cal support out of manufacturer support (towards Calman/Lightspace)… it looks that giving support to that tools is a PITA for them (asus, Dell,..).

Regarding your other questions:

i1Display Studio = color munki display (“slow i1displaypro), so no HW cal, even in manufacturers that make it work (like Color Navigator & Eizo)
    But.. it’s cheaper. As long as you do not care about HW cal it can be used with DisplayCAL/HCFR/ArgyllCMS without issue.

i1Studio = old colormunki photo/design, 10nm spectrophotometer, no OBA readings, big print patches (more paper lost)… but it can help a colorimeter measure properly whitepoint with DIsplayCAL/ArgyllCMS 3nm high res driver.
    Since firmware data in Spyders4/5 is not very accurate (CCSS corecrtions may fail), using it with a i1Studio with point to  using CCMX matrices. Unformtunatelly poor low light readings and speed will not improve in your older Spyder.
    So… I would say no.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Sorry, so what would you suggest I get? lol

DM

Vincent
    Participant

i1DisplayPro or i1DisplayStudio depending on your budget and future buying plans. If you want HW cal somewhere in near future, the pro.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Thanks for the input!

I guess if your recommending the Pro, and not the Pro Plus, it must mean that the fact that it was developed and released 7 years ago(?) isn’t considered a problem.

I’ll check to see if the Pro Plus is supported by the PA329C, since it is newer tech and will have support for longer, plus HDR “room to grow.”

BTW, just out of curiosity, what do you think the chances are that either the Pro or the Pro Plus will go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Thanks!

DM

Christopher
    Participant

I don’t like the Spyder, the weight to hold the Spyder doesn’t do nearly a good Job as the i1; x-rite mastered the weight perfectly.  I can’t speak for the Spyder X but if it’s the same as the Spyder 4, then it stinks.

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks for the input!

I guess if your recommending the Pro, and not the Pro Plus, it must mean that the fact that it was developed and released 7 years ago(?) isn’t considered a problem.

Same HW, maybe offset sensor raised or lowered gains. It is identified by unlock code of i1d3 OEM.

I’ll check to see if the Pro Plus is supported by the PA329C, since it is newer tech and will have support for longer, plus HDR “room to grow.”

It is identified by unlock code of i1d3 OEM. Maybe some older software rejects it (unlock codes are Xrite licensing policy). ArgyllCMS can use the new one without issue AFAIK (argyl has all the i1d3 unlock codes, or at least most of them, it is on sourec code if you are curious)

BTW, just out of curiosity, what do you think the chances are that either the Pro or the Pro Plus will go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Thanks!

DM

IDNK

grahamh
    Participant

I wouldn’t panic about offers on SpyderX.  They’ve sent out three offers already and the price comes down each time. 😉

Vincent
    Participant

I wouldn’t panic about offers on SpyderX.  They’ve sent out three offers already and the price comes down each time. ????

What do stock market guys say? Don’t catch a falling knife.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Thanks everyone! 🙂

DM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS