Need Help Interpreting First Calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Need Help Interpreting First Calibration

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

kiomon
    Participant

First, I want to thank the developers for this awesome resource and tool! I have a idisplay pro and I am calibrating an Alienware 13 R3 which has a OLED screen. I calibrated it once with the iProfiler software that came with the probe, but then learned about DisplayCal and wanted to try this instead.

I have gone through the profiling and calibrating using DisplayCal, and I then went through the verify/ measurement office to see how the display did in detail.

You can see the results here:

https://biz.nicknameinternational.com/measurementreport.html

here are my questions

1. It is saying “Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ” is bad. How do I fix that? What could be causing this?
    2. If you look into the detail of the color errors, everything is below 1 accept one burgundy patch that has an error of above 3! Is there anything I can do to try and get that error down and more in line with the other colors, or is it just a “feature” of this display?

Thanks for any and all of the help!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I have gone through the profiling and calibrating using DisplayCal, and I then went through the verify/ measurement office to see how the display did in detail.

What settings have you used, especially whitepoint (if any)?

It is saying “Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ” is bad. How do I fix that? What could be causing this?

The measured whitepoint is not close to the daylight locus. You can fix this by setting a whitepoint target (e.g. 6500K), and/or using an appropriate colorimeter correction (i.e. “Spectral: OLED”).

If you look into the detail of the color errors, everything is below 1 accept one burgundy patch that has an error of above 3! Is there anything I can do to try and get that error down and more in line with the other colors […]

Increase the number of profiling patches.

kiomon
    Participant

I think I have found my error.  When I did my first calibration and profile I basically just adjusted the settings on the first screen (DOH) and didn’t adjust the others. So I didn’t set a white point.

i have taken your advice and I have set the white point and also increased the number of patches for the profiling and now it is running. I will post my newest results later today.

I have one more question.  How would I set up multiple profiles depending on color spaces?  I want to be able to consciously switch between DCI-P3 (with a 6500k white point), sRGB, AdobeRGB,  and Rec709. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks to all for the help!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have one more question. How would I set up multiple profiles depending on color spaces?

You don’t – one display profile is all you need. The source colorspace and profile is independent of that.

kiomon
    Participant

thanks for all the help Florian, I have managed to get an even better calibration now on the panel. It looks like it worked better when I did not select the OLED correction.

https://biz.nicknameinternational.com/measurementreport2.html

Looking at the measurement report, would there be anything you would do differently? I was please with the numbers, comparing it to my initial calibration and its that hues of red that are giving the most errors, so I am thinking its just something specific to the panel?

On my question of additional profiles for different color spaces. I think what I am trying to understand how to work within the parameters of other specific color spaces? So that I don’t use colors that are beyond the gamut of that color space.  For example, I am often viewing and editing video, and I would like to be able to limit the monitor to display rec.709 color space. Is this achievable?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by kiomon.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I was please with the numbers, comparing it to my initial calibration and its that hues of red that are giving the most errors, so I am thinking its just something specific to the panel?

All well within tolerance.

On my question of additional profiles for different color spaces. I think what I am trying to understand how to work within the parameters of other specific color spaces? So that I don’t use colors that are beyond the gamut of that color space.

E.g. if you’re editing images in a ICC color management capable application, then the embedded profile defines the characteristics of the color space you’re working within. This is separate from the display profile.

For example, I am often viewing and editing video, and I would like to be able to limit the monitor to display rec.709 color space. Is this achievable?

It depends on which application(s) you’re using. Most video suites are not ICC color management capable and as such can’t use ICC profiles, so you need to use 3D LUTs instead (which are “baked” transforms).

Aereldor
    Participant

Would you mind posting the calibrated ICC profile? I’d be very grateful for that, as I plan to get one of these but won’t have access to a hardware calbration device, but need to calibrate my display for photo and video editing.

Regards,
    Aereldor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS