Multi-point interactive adjustment

Home Forums General Discussion Multi-point interactive adjustment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

elvis
    Participant

Firstly, many thanks for DisplayCal (and also to the authors of ArgyllCMS).  I’ve been using ArgyllCMS since around 2012 for scripted profiling and calibration of our VFX / Post Production studio monitors and software, and more recently DisplayCal for one-off calibrations where I don’t have our scripts and software pipeline handy. They’ve proved themselves excellently for quite a number of years, projects, and a variety of colorimeters and displays.

On occasion, I also use both tools for the interactive adjustment capabilities using monitor controls (useful when I need to calibrate a display that won’t be connected to a computer). I have two questions (and maybe requests):

1) When I choose an interactive adjustment for CRTs (I still use these personally), I get a black (bias) and white (gain) point temperature/RGB adjustment in both DisplayCal and ArgyllCMS. When I choose an interactive adjustment for any sort of LCD (Generic/CCFL/WhiteLED), I get both the black and white adjustment option in ArgyllCMS. In DisplayCal, the interactive adjustment for the black point is gone, and I can only adjust the white point. Some LCDs I calibrate offer 2-point bias/gain adjustment in their service menu, and it would be handy to have the option show up in DisplayCal. Is there a way to make it show up? And if not, can it be added? (I can screenshot this if my question doesn’t make sense).

2) I also occasionally need to adjust displays that have multi-point adjustment (typically 10-point adjustment in newer 4K OLED TVs, which we’re starting to use a lot more in our part of the industry). I know that it’s not exactly the design of ArgyllCMS/DisplayCal, but having that feature in the menu would be quite a useful enhancement, as it really helps us nail the gamma as well as temperature across the full grey scale.

Many thanks for any insight that can be provided.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1) You can have the respective black level and -point control if you choose “refresh” measurement mode.

2) Has been asked occasionally, but currently ArgyllCMS does not support it.

elvis
    Participant

1) You can have the respective black level and -point control if you choose “refresh” measurement mode.

Does that change how the meter interprets anything? i.e.: will I get consistent results choosing refresh versus CCFL/LED if I’m just using it for the interactive part?

2) Has been asked occasionally, but currently ArgyllCMS does not support it.

OK thanks, I’ll ask over on the ArgyllCMS mailing lists and see what their thoughts are.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does that change how the meter interprets anything?

It depends on the meter. For spectrometers it doesn’t affect anything (other than possibly trying to sync to the refresh rate), same for the i1D3 and Spyder5, for other colorimeters (e.g. K-10) I’m not sure. If you are using a specific colorimeter correction you’ll have to make a copy and edit the file (DISPLAY_TYPE_REFRESH "YES" and give it a discerning DESCRIPTOR).

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS