Monitor with poor CMS, 1d and 3d luts recommended

Home Forums Help and Support Monitor with poor CMS, 1d and 3d luts recommended

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

TS Weller
    Participant

Hi,

I grade using DaVinci Resolve. My hypothetical  setup is a blackmagic decklink mini monitor 4k going out to a LG Oled 4k panel. I will generate a 3d LUT using DisplayCAL for use by Resolve (no LUT box). In their mailbag episode 36 (https://mixinglight.com/color-tutorial/reference-monitors-lgs-oleds-in-the-color-suite/) the team at MixingLight recommend using a lut box like the BoxIO to hav 1d and 3d LUTs applied to the signal sequentially. This is to compensate for the poor  CMS in the LG TV that apparently introducing banding when adjusting the 2 point or 20 point white balance controls. I am using DisplayCAL and note it suggests I make RGB gain adjustments to set the white point to a reasonable level of accuracy prior to profiling and LUT generation.

My question is twofold:

From reading the forums here  DisplayCAL generates calibration curves and would incorporate those into the 3d LUT that Resolve will use (for external monitor via decklink). Would this achieve the same thing as using a 1d and 3d lut used sequentially in a boxIO?

Does using  DisplayCAL to generate a 3dLUT for Resolve in this way, remove the absolute necessity of adjusting the on TV RGB gain controls and thus causing banding and other issues due to the TV’s poor CMS. Or would leaving the TV’s white balance controls out of whack push perhaps push the limits of what the 3d LUT could achieve and reduce the chances of final accuracy?

Many Thanks

Sam

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

From reading the forums here DisplayCAL generates calibration curves and would incorporate those into the 3d LUT that Resolve will use (for external monitor via decklink).

1D calibration is disabled by default for the “3D LUT” presets because testing has indicated that it doesn’t provide a benefit in these cases.

Would this achieve the same thing as using a 1d and 3d lut used sequentially in a boxIO?

Yes.

Does using DisplayCAL to generate a 3dLUT for Resolve in this way, remove the absolute necessity of adjusting the on TV RGB gain controls and thus causing banding and other issues due to the TV’s poor CMS.

Yes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS