Monitor with dominant red after calibration/profiling

Home Forums Help and Support Monitor with dominant red after calibration/profiling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ivan Reguzzoni
    Participant

Hi,
    first of all, I wanted to congratulate you on the excellent product made available. I recently bought SpyderX Pro and not trusting their software I exclusively used DisplayCal. Unfortunately, I have a problem with the calibrations of my 7 monitors, in fact, all of them tend to very red colours after calibration.
    I noticed this red “effect” comparing monitors with my two high-end televisions (one OLED and the other FULL Array LED) that are calibrated (not by me but in a laboratory).

This is the first time that I try to calibrate the monitors using a tool and not “by eye”. I believe that the problem may be due to either the interaction with the SpyderX or to some wrong parameters during the calibration and profiling phase.

I tried to look at the forum but I could not find a solution, do you have any ideas on how to approach the problem? Do you need additional data to understand the settings I use and if so how can I easily attach them? Is there a log file?

Thanks in advance

P.S. The monitor where the problem is greatest is an ASUS VG27AQL1A

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

SpyderX is corrected by a builtin matrix in factory for that colorimeter and a display “sample” of the few backlights it supports. Not a very good device IMHO.
    Also you must have selected a correction from the builtins

So:

-fix white numerically (d65 for example), then use visual whitepoint editor to fix colorimeter drift.
    or
    -get an i1d3 colorimeter and their “portable” between colroimeters CCSS/EDR corrections and find one for that Asus
    or
    -rent or borrow an spectrophotometer, make a correction fro your SpyderX and your Asus

Since 1st one is free, try it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

Ivan Reguzzoni
    Participant

Hi,
    I have tried the first suggestion but the results are not good so I bought X-Rite i1Display Pro Plus. Now the result is better than before but it is also oriented to red colours. I also tried using gamma 2.2/2.4 and d92 to have more blue colours on the screen with respect to the red, but also in this way, I do not reach the colours desired.

I use that monitor in a black room so the white level is about 40cd/m2 or less.

Can u suggest some other configurations? Currently, with this configuration, the skin is unnatural and too much red. Must I use  Rec.1886?

Is it possible that this monitor is damaged and there is no way to profile it correctly?

Thx in advance

Vincent
    Participant

Hi,
    I have tried the first suggestion but the results are not good so I bought X-Rite i1Display Pro Plus. Now the result is better than before but it is also oriented to red colours. I also tried using gamma 2.2/2.4 and d92 to have more blue colours on the screen with respect to the red, but also in this way, I do not reach the colours desired.

Ambiguous statement.

For color tints in “white 255” 1) make sure you use proper colorimeter correction, then calibrate to your desired white (for example D65). If this does not fix those tints 2) use visual whiotepoint editor for visually correct it. Grey will have the same color as that white. Already explained above. Do not use “absolute colorimetric” intent for LUT3D with visual approach, keep it relative

For string saturation on other colors, you’ll need apps that use ICC (like Lightroom or Photoshop) or limit display colorspace to whatever non color managed content you want to show on them (like sRGB/Rec709). For the 2nd one you may find easier HCFR. It’s the same ArgyllCMS code for measurement, and you’ll need to apply proper colorimeter correction for each display too.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS