Monitor with CMS Controls

Home Forums Help and Support Monitor with CMS Controls

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Wallboy
    Participant

I’m likely getting a new i1Display PRO soon and calibrating all my monitors again. My ~8 year old i1Display LT/2 is probably no longer accurate and also the entire plastic casing snapped off somehow.

I  also bought a new monitor that has the ability to adjust the normal Red, Green, Blue sliders you would normally adjust as a first step along with brightness. However it also has CMS controls Hue/Saturation sliders for the primaries (RGB) and secondaries (CMY) that you typically find on a TV or projector (except this monitor has no brightness adjustment for each color). Is it best to leave these alone and let DisplayCAL correct them in the LUT/ICC? Or should they also be adjusted prior to get a best possible starting point?

Thanks for any help

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

However it also has CMS controls Hue/Saturation sliders for the primaries (RGB) and secondaries (CMY) […] Is it best to leave these alone

Generally, yes, as these controls have a tendency to distort the device response and make it less well-behaved.

Wallboy
    Participant

Alright sounds good. Is targeting 2.2 gamma still the norm for sRGB? I know in REC 709, BT.1886 has become the “standard” for many.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Note that calibration tone curve only affects non color managed content (i.e. most of the desktop and applications under Windows still).

Wallboy
    Participant

Are the curves/color corrections not built into the ICC profile and when Windows loads and DisplayCAL loads the corrections in? I was under the impression corrections are made from the ICC and VCGT and would apply to everything unless overridden in software that allows you to choose other correction profiles/etc.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You’ll only get color management in color management capable applications (e.g. Photoshop). 1D calibration is part of adjustment (prior to profiling).

Wallboy
    Participant

So is the gamma curve always applied to everything? It’s just the colors that get adjusted if the particular application supports color management?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Basically, yes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS