Monitor recommendations and book resources

Home Forums General Discussion Monitor recommendations and book resources

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

PiMO
    Participant

Hello Florian and other colour geeks,

First of all, I would like to apologise for my absence on this brilliant forum. I had been studying this astonishing book ( “Real world Color Management Second Edition”) recommended by Florian. It ‘s given me the overall concept of creating and modifying colour profiles. The most important statements from this book are:

• Colour correction is a very complex problem, mainly because, it is an’ subjective impression’.
    •  Nothing is ideal – sometimes is better to create and use several profiles (all depends on what we are going to achieve).
    • Editing and checking profile is more important than profile itself.

Currently, I am looking for an external monitor, which will improve my colour correction quality significantly. I am working across all different media (content for print, displays), and it is crucial to ‘keep’ colours as accurate as I can. Any help or recommendation in this manner is highly appreciated. I do not mind if it will be a new or used one.  Unfortunately, I have a limited budget.  Furthermore, 4K resolution is a necessity.

Moreover, if you have a valuable book resource, which helps me to ‘push’ my theoretical and practical knowledge even farther, do not hesitate to share it with me, please.

PiMO
    Participant

I am quite happy with the results this time. I ‘ve followed your advice which I found on one of your previous posts to just create XYZ LUT profile instead XYZ LUT with a  matrix due to my screen which is a basically TN Panel. The results are a lot better than from previous calibrations despite that still I  have some issues, according to test calibration I have to be aware of blues, reds and pink which are slight ‘off’.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Currently, I am looking for an external monitor, which will improve my colour correction quality significantly. I am working across all different media (content for print, displays), and it is crucial to ‘keep’ colours as accurate as I can. Any help or recommendation in this manner is highly appreciated. I do not mind if it will be a new or used one.  Unfortunately, I have a limited budget.  Furthermore, 4K resolution is a necessity.

You’ll basically require a wide gamut display with high AdobeRGB/NTSC1953 coverage to cover most print colorspaces (unless you deliberately restrict yourself to sRGB). That will be hard to get in good quality (and 4K) on a budget. My general recommendation for a graphics arts monitor would be out of the NEC PA or Eizo CS/CG series, but those are not 4K devices (usually WQHD, 2560×1440) and come at a price.

my screen which is a basically TN Panel.

LP173WF4-SPF5 should be IPS.

The results are a lot better than from previous calibrations despite that still I  have some issues, according to test calibration I have to be aware of blues, reds and pink which are slight ‘off’.

Your display doesn’t fully cover the sRGB gamut.

PiMO
    Participant

Yes, unfortunately, I am aware of it, especially when I have been done several monitor calibrations since August 2018. Nevertheless, the good side of it is that I am conscious of my screen imperfections, and this knowledge helps me a lot with current projects for example. On top of it I am a happy owner of Spyder Print too, so every time when I have to use new paper stock I am going to create a soft proof which then has been used during new assignments, and yes, really I see the difference.

In terms of the colour profile, as you said in one of your posts that for TN Panels, better solution it will be to create XYZ profile instead of XYZ Profile with a matrix.  Whereas errors are still presented they are one order of magnitude less than it was for XYZ+Matrix option and now do not exceed the value of 4.11 for one patch from 728 different.

It seems that I will have to find a used option for the monitor. What do you think about this guys?

Have a good night

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

It seems that I will have to find a used option for the monitor. What do you think about this guys?

The BenQ PD2700Q is a pretty good monitor and not that expensive, it has a 10-bit IPS panel and 1440p resolution.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hmm. The test sample they had over at prad.de seemed to have pretty bad brightness uniformity: https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-monitor-benq-pd2700q/3/#Bildqualitaet (also, sRGB screen, but 100% sRGB coverage which is nice)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS