memory error

Home Forums Help and Support memory error

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

toby5
    Participant

I am new to displaycal, but got a really nice result with 3dlut for rec709 on a 1080 display. With this said I have been trying to create a 3dlut for an HDR to SDR, but I keep getting a memory error and it won’t create the lut which is disheartening because it takes about 12 hours total to do the entire 3dlut profiling on the top running patches. I am on windows 10 with amd ryzen 1600x and 8 gigs of ram. This should be good to go I would think.

toby5
    Participant

Even using existing 3dlut which I created for sdr I get the same memory error and I don’t know exactly what is wrong. Also, I don’t know which exact settings I should have to do the HDR to SDR as far as profiling type along with hard clip or roll off and so on.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I need more information. At which point exactly does the memory error occur? Please attach logfiles. Also, how many patches did you measure for the profiling to take 12 hours?

toby5
    Participant

I applied the full measurements like I would for rec709 measurements and the memory error occurs at the very end when trying to create the 3dlut. It will create the lut when I just use create 3dlut. Another thing I notice is that when I use the lut it looks darker because a lut over the initial lut I guess, but it loses detail to me. I tried with the luts I created along with generic luts found on avs. They all look too dark at all levels.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

8 GB total RAM is not that much for a CPU with 12 virtual cores (with 12 available cores, DisplayCAL will use 9 processes, each of which requires 1+ GB), so I’m pretty sure you’re actually running out of memory. You can limit the amount of (virtual) cores used (and thus the amount of RAM required) by setting multiprocessing.max_cpus = 5 in %APPDATA%\DisplayCAL\DisplayCAL.ini.

toby5
    Participant

Thank you for that and thank you for the reply which I forgot to mention in my earlier post btw.

toby5
    Participant

If you or anyone here could help me find the right settings for an hdr to sdr 3dlut would be greatly appreciated. I have tried a few different settings with the lut and they all come out too contrasty and lose detail. I am basically trying to mimic what madvr is doing, but everyone I have tried to creat comes out differently and there seems to be problems with it. It’s like the original 3dlut I created for rec709 is going under the hdr to sdr lut and giving hdr to sdr more pop in the colors while also making the blacks crush and giving the picture more contrast where I’m losing detail in the light. I have tried 0% black offset, 100% black offset, hard clip, roll off, 50/50 saturation, luminance, more luminance, less saturation down the scale. I am on an older colorimeter so that might have something to do with it as well. The colorimeter I’m using is a monacoOPTIX DT94 and so I’m having to use LCD where I can’t put in the LCD (white LED) selection. Any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS