Matching Wide Gamut with Standard Gamut Display

Home Forums Help and Support Matching Wide Gamut with Standard Gamut Display

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

eladrin SourceForge

Hello, I calibrated two displays with a Spyder 4. The wide gamut is a TN AUO B156HW01 v4 (from a Thinkpad W530) and the standard gamut is an IPS WLED ~80% sRGB (from a VAIO S15). I calibrated both at 6500K, 2.2, 120 cd/m2. The measurement reports appear very good in both cases. However, the displays look quite a bit different.

Putting them side by side, the wide gamut seems to have a greenish tint and the standard gamut a reddish tint. Photos look quite a bit different too (in colour managed applications always, like photoshop), even if all the colours are within both displays’ gamuts. The standard gamut looks a bit more pleasing to the eye, although I was hoping for the opposite.

Is there anything I have missed in the calibration settings or is it impossible to match two fairly different monitors? Thank you.

eladrin SourceForge

Measurement Reports.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the most important step to a better match is usually to match the whitepoints of the involved displays. You can do this visually during the interactive display adjustment part (set whitepoint to “As measured” prior to that). Pick one of the displays as reference, adjust the other to match it. Do not pay attention to delta E numbers reported during that step, aim for a good visual match (show a white patch of the same size on the reference screen to guide you, you can use any image editor to do this). Then, after you have achieved a satisfactory match by adjusting the display RGB balance controls, continue on to calibration and profiling.

eladrin SourceForge

Thanks for your help. I am not sure if it is clear from my first post, but the two displays are laptop displays. Could I still follow that process and tweak the RGB controls in the Nvidia control panel of one laptop? Does it make any difference if I use the discrete Quadro card, instead of the integrated Intel one?

Also, since my first post I got the best result with the wide gamut display by using spectral correction “RG phosphor” and white point “as measured” rather than a specific value. I chose reference “Daylight” and the measured whitepoint was about 6000k. However, I am getting a “Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE00” of 3.51, which goes down to 0.44 if I tick the button “Use blackbody locus as assumed target whitepoint”. I am attaching the measurement report of that calibration. Thanks again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks for your help. I am not sure if it is clear from my first post, but the two displays are laptop displays. Could I still follow that process and tweak the RGB controls in the Nvidia control panel of one laptop?

I see. In that case, my suggestion won’t work as hardware controls are required.

Also, since my first post I got the best result with the wide gamut display by using spectral correction “RG phosphor” […]
    However, I am getting a “Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE00” of 3.51

It mostly matters when doing comparisons against a specific reference (e.g. a lightbox or ambient light).
    The report looks fine.

eladrin SourceForge

Basically, I didn’t necessarily want to match the screens exactly, since I mainly use the wide gamut laptop. I was trying to figure out a way to make skin tones look a bit better, without the slight greenish cast, which gives them a sort of “looking sick” feeling (it’s not bad) and give them a more punchy “alive” feeling that the standard gamut IPS laptop has.

I am also expecting a Colormunki Display next week. Hopefully, that might give me a bit better results.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS