Matching monitor B to monitor A

Home Forums Help and Support Matching monitor B to monitor A

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Cosmostrator
    Participant

Is it possible to take a reading on one screen and use that as my target for a second screen?

Sometimes I have a display that can’t be adjusted that I need to match other displays to, regardless of if it matches any particular profile.  I’d like to use my colorimeter (i1 DisplayPro or SpyderX) to read (profile?) one screen and calibrate my other screen(s) to match.

Happy to provide more info if it helps.

-Dave

• This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Cosmostrator.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Old Man
    Participant

Yes, you can do that. Note different displays might not match in every aspect

Cosmostrator
    Participant

Any hints on how to do so?  I’m assuming it’s using DisplayCAL, though I’m open to other options.

I’ve color corrected screens with the auto optimized test chart, but don’t see a way to use a previous reading as my target.

Thanks-

-Dave

Vincent
    Participant

If we assume an extremely accurate device (i1d3 firmware matching exactly filter behavior and custom made CCSS correction) and that your visual system matches the “human mean” we label as CIE 19312 degree observer then:
    -tools/report/report on calibrated display on display A (using colorimeter correction for A). Take note of CIE xy coordinates for white point & brightness.
    -use that whitepoint & brightness as calibration target in B (using colorimeter correction for B).
    For color managed apps… that’s all. All colors in the intersection of A & B will be shown equal.
    If you also want to make them behave equally non color managed and we assume that one display’ colorspace (lest say A) fits entirely on display B colorspace, you can use DWMLUT on display B to simulate A (and using an idealized version of A as display profile).

If we cannot asume perfect device or observer variation, from previous instructions choose the whiter one. Then recalibrate the other one using the whiter display as reference and using “visual whitepoint editor” in displaycal (it’s an option for color coordinates target).
    Then if you need to create LUT3D for DWMLUT do not use absolute colorimetric as rendering intent if you used a visually matched white.

Old Man
    Participant

Yep. What Vicent said. Let us know if you need any clarification

Cosmostrator
    Participant

Thanks Vincent for the extra details.  I’m actually loading 3D LUTs into a video switcher for each display, so no color managed apps for me.  At the moment I’m color matching LCD TVs, video projectors and LED walls, so any color match is significantly better than default settings. Fortunately I can load settings for all of my displays this week, but that’s not always the case, so this info will come in handy.  I’ll update when I successfully get the manual match working.

-Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS