Matching Macbook Pro Late-2016 to Dell UP2715K

Home Forums Help and Support Matching Macbook Pro Late-2016 to Dell UP2715K

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mike Grittani
    Participant

Hello,

First of all, I’d like to thank those involved in making this software available—for free, nonetheless.  I am extremely impressed by its versatility so far and I’m excited to get it working correctly!

I am having difficulty matching my two primary screens: the Macbook Pro Late-2016 Retina screen to my newly-acquired Dell UP2715K.  After running what I assume are accurate settings during calibration, the Dell is tinted green and the Macbook is closer to being tinted purple.  I have read from a few sources that the “best” way to calibrate the Dell is using their utility (DUCCS) with an XRite checker.  I do not own an XRite, and I am hoping that with the versatility of DisplayCAL I can successfully match my two screens.

I am calibrating with a Spyder5PRO.  Both screens are utilizing factory settings.  DisplayCAL settings are as follow:

Macbook Pro | Spyder5 | LCD (Generic) | Whitepoint As Measured at 77.27% brightness (~286 cd/m^2) | White level As Measured (~7232K)| Tone curve Gamma 2.2

Dell UP2715K / Spyder5 / Wide Gamut LCD (RGB LED) | Whitepoint As Measured (~322 cd/m^2) | White level As Measured (~7427K) | Tone curve Gamma 2.2

I then ran verification on both resulting ICC profiles—these reports are attached to this thread.  Thank you for any suggestions you can come up with!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

If you run a calibration setting  white point target “as measured” … white won’t be corrected, hence the two displays are very likely to have different whitepoint.

Re run calibration but this time set the same white for the two screens (for example 6500K daylight), then compare again.

If you do not wish to “limit” the laptop’s output in its graphics card use “as measured” for white target in laptop, then set laptop’s white (from profile or measured) as Dell’s target white.

Since a Spyder5 is not an accurate device and Spyder bundles corrections are not a match for those displays backlight it is possible that you do not solve white mismatch. If that happens:
    -after calibrating laptop use Displaycal “visual whitepoint editor” for the Dell and play with Dell’s RGB gains in OSD to get a match
    -buy a more accurate measurement device (i1displaypro)

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Mike Grittani
    Participant

Dear Vincent, thank you so much for your thorough reply.  Here were my findings:

I re-ran calibration with the white point set to 6500K on both displays.  The results were even less appealing than my original problematic setup.  The Macbook Pro was very orange (warm), while the Dell was very green.

I then re-ran calibration with the white point “As Measured” on the Macbook Pro, resulting in 7133K.  After the Macbook calibration finished, I re-ran with the Spyder on the Dell at whitepoint 7133.  The results were still dissatisfactory — an overwhelming strong green tint on the Dell.

I hope there are some more suggestions that I might be able to try through the forum, but for now, I think I might start looking into purchasing a XRite i1Display Pro.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s a FAQ entry for visually matching two display whitepoints.

Mike Grittani
    Participant

Thanks Florian.  Can you provide a link to the specific FAQ you’re referring to? I couldn’t find one matching via the forum search results.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s one of the sticky threads.

Vincent
    Participant

Dear Vincent, thank you so much for your thorough reply.  Here were my findings:

I re-ran calibration with the white point set to 6500K on both displays.  The results were even less appealing than my original problematic setup.  The Macbook Pro was very orange (warm), while the Dell was very green.

That “very orange” value -“not looking white by any means”- is caused by using wrong correction for that colorimeter&display and/or innacurate measurement device.

Unless you get a new device of fiund a suitable correction (renting an spectro) you’ll have to use a visual approach not only for matching displays but also to get your desired white.
    If laptop’s native white looks pleasing to your eyes you may skip it.

I then re-ran calibration with the white point “As Measured” on the Macbook Pro, resulting in 7133K.  After the Macbook calibration finished, I re-ran with the Spyder on the Dell at whitepoint 7133.  The results were still dissatisfactory — an overwhelming strong green tint on the Dell.

Actually I didn’t write exactly that.
    I wrote to test if setting a comon white coodinate as target solves your problem. If problem is solved but you do not whish to apply limitations to laptop’s contrast or luminance, then try using laptops native white as “target” instead a common white like 6500K daylight.
    My apologies if I did not explain it properly.

I hope there are some more suggestions that I might be able to try through the forum, but for now, I think I might start looking into purchasing a XRite i1Display Pro.

Alternatives are using “visual whitepoint editor” that I wrote in my last paragraph, as Florian suggest

Thanks Florian.  Can you provide a link to the specific FAQ you’re referring to? I couldn’t find one matching via the forum search results.

Frequently Asked Questions

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

Mike Grittani
    Participant

Hello again friends,

After sitting on this for a while, I decided what my next steps were in calibrating.  I hope I have a chance of finally getting the monitors close to matching.  I sold my Spyder5PRO and purchased an i1Display Pro.  Here were my steps for calibrating:

1.) I like my Macbook Pro for reference.  I measured the temperature and white point where I could easily match both on the Dell.  The numbers I used were whitepoint 7205K and white level 287.5 cd/m2, both detected and input manually.  Calibrated to White LED with Gamma 2.2 and LCD generic refresh.  Let the calibration run and saved the profile.

2.) Set out to match Dell to Macbook Pro.  Ran Default Gamma 2.2 settings in LCD generic mode, correction set to RGB LED.  Set whitepoint manually to match 7205K of Macbook Pro and reduced the white level in my monitor’s settings to reach the level of 287.0 cd/m2.  Calibrated and saved.

In comparing white and grey swatches on the monitors, the Dell is still tinted green.  I measured the whitepoints afterwards, which have gotten closer together but are still not matching.  The Macbook Pro now reads at 7300K and the Dell reads at 7536K.

Please let me know if any more information is needed.  Thanks for the help!

Mike

Vincent
    Participant

1.) I like my Macbook Pro for reference.  I measured the temperature and white point where I could easily match both on the Dell.  The numbers I used were whitepoint 7205K and white level 287.5 cd/m2, both detected and input manually.  Calibrated to White LED with Gamma 2.2 and LCD generic refresh.  Let the calibration run and saved the profile.

Correlated color temperature does NOT define a white point. If you want to match “numerically” then use color coordinates. That xyY coordonates will be your reference, not correlated color temperature.
    You’ll need to use proper correction for measuring Dell & macbook. sRGB macbooks should use “WLED” correction, P3 macbooks (the new ones) should use “Panasonic VVX….” or one of the mac P3 CCSS correction in displaycal database.

2.) Set out to match Dell to Macbook Pro.  Ran Default Gamma 2.2 settings in LCD generic mode, correction set to RGB LED.  Set whitepoint manually to match 7205K of Macbook Pro and reduced the white level in my monitor’s settings to reach the level of 287.0 cd/m2.  Calibrated and saved.

It is NOT a RGB LED. It could be a GB-LED (RG_phosphor) or a W-LED PFS like some newer models like UP2516D or UP2716D. There are some user made corrections for the later ones but unfortunatelly  most of them are “wrong” (sRGB emulated presets or something like that, check this with ArgyllCMS specplot to see if one channel is an addition of two).

If you want to use a numeric approach download and install Dell Ultrasharp color calibration solution (DUCCS, v1.6.6), and write your calibration internally. Choose “custom xy” in DUCCS to get your desired white. Then test results with DisplayCAL and RG_phosphor correction .
    If it is off from your desired target you can correct it in graphics card with DisplayCAL like you did.

In comparing white and grey swatches on the monitors, the Dell is still tinted green.  I measured the whitepoints afterwards, which have gotten closer together but are still not matching.  The Macbook Pro now reads at 7300K and the Dell reads at 7536K.

A) explained above, you did it wrong. Do it right, then evaluate your results visually.

B) you’ll need a visual approach instead a numerical approch to get a match. Look DisplayCAL doc fro viaual whitepoint match

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS