Matching MacBook Pro 2016 with LG OLED TV

Home Forums General Discussion Matching MacBook Pro 2016 with LG OLED TV

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

benjamino
    Participant

I’m using an LG B8 OLED TV as an external monitor with my MacBook Pro 2016. I’m trying to get them to show the same colour. I’ve manually set the white point and black points to ranges that both screens can achieve and set 6500 white point when doing the calibration.  Yet, after calibration and profiling, the images are still different.

I noticed the laptop screen wasn’t showing the RGB bars in the right place so I tried using a different manually set white point that got them fairly well lined up, then used that white point on the TV as well (which I can adjust to get the RGB bars dead center easily). Even then the colours are still different between the two devices.

I’m also trying to get the colours on these displays to match my ipad pro – which apparently has quite an accurate display natively. Certainly the calibrated MacBook Pro matches it very well. But the LG OLED tv seems too dark and too red in comparison.

Many thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You want to match the whitepoints and use color managed software throughout your workflow. See the FAQ for visual whitepoint matching.

benjamino
    Participant

Thanks for this. I’ve done this now and the result is similar to before. It doesn’t actually look like a white balance issue. It’s more like a gamma and/or saturation difference. (I set 2.2 gamma in each calibration). The OLED is darker and more saturated, more noticeable in the reds. Even though I measured the black level on the laptop (higher), and entered that value when calibrating the OLED.

Also – I can’t find the FAQs  – do you mean the documentation?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

FAQ is in this forum (sticky). Make sure you are using color managed applications, and that they support multiple monitors (e.g. Adobe software usually does).

benjamino
    Participant

Thanks, the FAQ is helpful. So I think I’m pretty much doing every thing correctly.  I’ve tried opening two instances of the same photo in Preview and it clearly shows the difference still. Is it possible the OLED is getting a bigger colour space in the correction because it’s capable of more somehow? Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Depends of the source profile embedded in the image (if no profile, apps should default to sRGB).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS