Matching Laptop screen to iphone X

Home Forums General Discussion Matching Laptop screen to iphone X

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

BraxtonK
    Participant

I have a Gigabyte aero 15×9 with the 4k Panel.

I have the intel graphics utility uninstalled.

When I calibrate the monitor, I get 100% srgb.

My issue is when comparing to the iphone X, the iphones screen is slightly less saturated.

Now, I know that I should not be calibrating to a screen like this, but 99% of my content is viewed on the iphone, so I want to get my screen as close as possible to it.

Now, my question is, should I just install the intel graphics utility and lower the saturation slightly, or is there a way to achieve the results I want through Displaycal?

Vincent
    Participant

When I calibrate the monitor, I get 100% srgb.

Is that value an intersection value or an “exact” match between that 2 colorspaces? I think that it is the first one so my answer will be conditioned by that.

First of all try to figure how well behaved is iphoneX & OS/browser color management. Make 4  R , G, B & W “255 value” solid sRGB images. Copy them to your iPhoneX (or upload them to some web), then measure them with your colorimeter/spectro (you may need to use ArgyllCMS comand line, choose remote/web screen, IDNK if DisplayCAL can take single measurements). With XYZ/xyY readings for that 4 image create a synthetic profile (Displaycal synth profile app) and use “DisplayCAL profile info” or gamutvision or the app you like most to see boundaries of that “idealized” colorspace defined by 4 measures against sRGB.
    Is that matching sRGB?

If it matches and your laptop diplay colorspace is bigger than sRGB (as it looks) you should use color managed apps like PS to view/compare images.
    If it does not match you can use that syntethic profile or a more detalied one you make from a few hundreds of measures (DisplayCAL, “profile only” from remote/web screen, search in this forum) and use softproof utility in Photoshop or similar software.

You can do the same with 4 RGBW solid image win 255 values in “P3” colorspace images.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Vincent
    Participant

Hmmm… Maybe it’s easier for you to remote profile (iphone X default internet browser) your iPhone X with a single curve + matrix “profile only” and 15-30 patches than to make 4 RGBW images and use argyllcms command line.
    That will create a ICC profile so you can compare it against sRGB/P3 if you are going to publish images for web that are going to be consumed by Iphones.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS