Matching laptop display to desktop

Home Forums Help and Support Matching laptop display to desktop

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dean Osborne Photography
    Participant

Hi

I just want to say firstly I think this is a fantastic piece of software and I do not for one minute think that this issue lies with the software, it’s either something I’m doing wrong or a limitation of the hardware…

I work mainly in Lightroom and Photoshop

I have a profile I’m very happy with on an average screen on my desktop giving me 95% RGB coverage which seems fine as everyone will be viewing my images on the web.. It looks accurate and I have been happy working with it. I shoot families and weddings so skin tone and white balance are important

However, when I try and profile my laptop I get very low scores in the 60% ranges.. for RGB coverage

It seems skin tones are way off base, contrast is out, shadows change color

I don’t really care about other colors much so long as all the skin colors and general white balance are the same between the 2 displays…

I guess part of the problem is that I cannot adjust the RGB gains of the laptop so i’m losing a lot of values?

I am going to try it with native white balance and gamma but that means it won’t then match the desktop – and white balance is critical to be correct between screens

Is this just a limitation of a (very) poor laptop display

Are there laptops with known good displays? other than macbooks? 🙂

I’ve attached the compressed version of the files I think thats what you need to assist

It makes any color editing on the laptop pointless as it dosen’t match the desktop so I end up going through all those images again 🙂

Thankyou so much for any help you can offer

Best Regards

Dean

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

However, when I try and profile my laptop I get very low scores in the 60% ranges.. for RGB coverage

it’s actually pretty common for Laptop and other lower quality TN panel displays to have a low coverage of sRGB. As this is a hardware limitation of the panel, there’s nothing that can be done about it.

It makes any color editing on the laptop pointless as it dosen’t match the desktop so I end up going through all those images again

Agreed. A display with such a small gamut is unsuitable for color critical work.

Dean Osborne Photography
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying

I’m going to try and use an Ipad Pro for editing on the move

Looked at reviews and specs of the screen and it seems a viable alternative

The screen looks amazing! LR Mobile seems much better than it used to be so this may be a good solution

Best Regards

Dean

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS