Manually altering calibration to match photographic prints

Home Forums Help and Support Manually altering calibration to match photographic prints

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kari
    Participant

Hi

I’ve calibrated my imac with the i1Profiler and my photographs are perfect on screen, but when printed (via a professional photographic print company), there is a slightly warmer colour temperature on the prints – which is possible due to the photographic paper they use.

I work in Capture one and have tried soft proofing to the print companies colour profile, but the physical prints still appear slightly more green / yellow.

Is there any way to manually adjust any settings in Displaycal  so that I can match my screen to the prints?

Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Is there any way to manually adjust any settings in Displaycal so that I can match my screen to the prints?

You’ll likely want to do a whitepoint match to your paper white under the illumination you’re using, and then disable “simulate paper white” when soft-proofing (but keep “simulate black ink”).

Kari
    Participant

I will try that later – but can you tell me where I do it… is this in the calibration set up somewhere? (sorry – very unwise when it comes to tech like this)

The ICC profile that I have from my print company – which I enable when soft proofing, will already have the paper information enabled in there, so thinking that the monitor callibration is just a bit off   somewhere compared to theirs.

In my editing software (Capture One), you soft proof to a specific ICC profile and cannot specify paper type in there.

If the white point matching for paper type doesn’t work in this case,  is there any other way to tweak the green / yellow up on the profile for my monitor, so that I cam match it to my prints by eye?

Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

On the “Calibration” tab. Set whitepoint to chromaticity (x, y). Next to whitepoint, choose to measure ambient. Measure the white reflected off a white sheet of paper you normally print on, under the illumination you use. Alternatively, use the visual whitepoint editor and match the white manually to the paper white, then measure it off the monitor to set as calibration target (the latter approach is likely to provide a better match).

The ICC profile that I have from my print company – which I enable when soft proofing, will already have the paper information enabled in there, so thinking that the monitor callibration is just a bit off somewhere compared to theirs.

The profile you got from them is very unlikely to match the printed stock you got perfectly. Remember, these are either “average” profiles, or represent a specific point in time (“snapshot”) with regards to their printing process. Any fluctuations in their printing process will thus not be accounted for.

In my editing software (Capture One), you soft proof to a specific ICC profile and cannot specify paper type in there.

Sometimes the option is called differently. Look for anything that is called “paper white” (turn that off). If that option doesn’t exist in Capture One, you will be limited in your softproofing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS