MadVR TPG and initial calibration meters

Home Forums Help and Support MadVR TPG and initial calibration meters

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

Hi there,

Attempted a new calibration for my new HTPC tonight and ended up with a couple of issues – any help appreciated

1. The MadVR TPG seemed to have stopped working when full screen. If windowed I can see the patterns, if full screen I see black – but I still see the cursor. DispCAL eventually says that the black level is wrong – simply because it only reads the same level of black. It was working during the first test and I rebooted. To go to full screen – as I need to see the screen for the initial RGB calibration – I press ALT-ENTER and I have the FULL SCREEN button activated.
    2. See the attached picture. Is that supposed to happen? Those two readings were alternating without me touching anything. The one with the higher green was showing up 1 out of 6-7 readings. Besides the huge difference in levels, the one with all the colours below the zero point shouldn’t happen, am I mistaken?

Just to double check this: “disable videoLUTs” and “disable 3DLUT” buttons on the TPG: those are supposed to be in the “disabled” (highlighted blue) mode when calibration/profiling and on when verifying or shall I leave them and DisplayCAL will take care of them?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

The MadVR TPG seemed to have stopped working when full screen.

the madVR bug tracker is here: http://bugs.madshi.net/view_all_bug_page.php?project_id=4

See the attached picture. Is that supposed to happen? Those two readings were alternating without me touching anything.

Sure, when there is a high uncertainty, then the values will jump around.

the one with all the colours below the zero point shouldn’t happen

No. There are occasions where all channels are considered too low (or too high) to hit the target.

Just to double check this: “disable videoLUTs” and “disable 3DLUT” buttons on the TPG: those are supposed to be in the “disabled” (highlighted blue) mode when calibration/profiling and on when verifying or shall I leave them and DisplayCAL will take care of them?

Always leave them alone (in the default state, which means without DisplayCAL running, only “Disable videoLUTs” should be highlighted).

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

See the attached picture. Is that supposed to happen? Those two readings were alternating without me touching anything.

Sure, when there is a high uncertainty, then the values will jump around.

Thanks. However, I can only see 0.002 drift between the two readings. Would that be considered too much? DCI specs allow for 0.006 in cinemas and 0.002 in post production houses!

the one with all the colours below the zero point shouldn’t happen

No. There are occasions where all channels are considered too low (or too high) to hit the target.

But isn’t that screen showing the balance between R G and B?  What is the meaning of all the colours below the target and how should I counteract that effect?

I’ll follow up with MadVR on the full screen issue, thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. However, I can only see 0.002 drift between the two readings. Would that be considered too much? DCI specs allow for 0.006 in cinemas and 0.002 in post production houses!

It’s not about drift, but the uncertainty how much adjustment each channel needs to hit the target. If the algorithm can’t figure out an unambiguous solution, the bars will jump around a bit until brought closer to the center. It could also be caused by display flicker or measurement noise.

But isn’t that screen showing the balance between R G and B?

It shows how much each channel needs to be adjusted (approx.), and if a bar is below the center point it meana the respective color needs to be increased, and above the center means a reduction is required.

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

Thanks.

in case anybody had the same issue I have found that if you leave the TPG to NON full screen and you switch to full screen manually by  DOUBLE CLICKING (not by alt-enter) it then works.

I doubt it’s my setup, it’s a fresh install and I reset the madVR settings. mashi is aware in case it turns out it’s a bug.

thx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS