madVR HDR Process

Home Forums Help and Support madVR HDR Process

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Abdessamad Elkanfoud
    Participant

hi there,

I’m trying to calibrate my lg oled hdr mode and i need a bit of advice.

My Display hdr peak luminance is arround 400nits so i have set displaycal to 400cd/m and hdr process, do i have to set madtpg hdr tap to 400nits too or something else?

kind regards

Abdessamad Elkanfoud
    Participant

I’ve created a 3d-lut already while setting both displaycal and madtpg to 400nits. But i have a problem with some movies, take The Shallows UHD as example, with the 3d-lut on it’s blindly bright while with either passthrough or hdr process using pixel shaders math it looks ok.

Using hdr 3d-lut is no choice for me, because my tv color gamut is set to wide (native) for sdr 3d-lut calibration and my tv share the same preset for both sdr and hdr so without hdr calibration while tv gamut set to wide, colors will be off.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My Display hdr peak luminance is arround 400nits

As far as I know, the LGs reach around 540-700 nits depending on model.

do i have to set madtpg hdr tap to 400nits too or something else?

No. The madTPG HDR metadata should be set to 0-10000 nits (I think that is the default).

Abdessamad Elkanfoud
    Participant

As far as I know, the LGs reach around 540-700 nits depending on model.

I have an old model 65EF950v

No. The madTPG HDR metadata should be set to 0-10000 nits (I think that is the default).

Default in madtpg is 4000.

I’ve been adviced to set displaycal peak luminance to 1000nit instead of my display real peak value, and so for madvr (not madtpg which i leave it now on 10 000). Now hdr is not blindly bright anymore!

I’ve been digging arround, and one of your posts in avsforum. You said that your display peak lum arround 480 but you set displaycal to 1000, true?

What your opinion about this behaviour? Is it the tv own tone mapping algo?

Another question please, instead of roll-off can i use hard clipping, so the tv will take care of tone mapping and the lut adjust color gamut?

Thanks

Abdessamad Elkanfoud
    Participant

I’m quotting my self here

Now hdr is not blindly bright anymore!

Well now it’s not bright but dull. I was comparing mad max fury road bluray version to uhd and it look like the new lut make hdr look dimmer than sdr (my sdr mode target=100nit).

So now i’m giving 400nit as target another try but this time using a larger profile 1114p, bcs all my previous profiles were using default 175p.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve been digging arround, and one of your posts in avsforum. You said that your display peak lum arround 480 but you set displaycal to 1000, true?

I do not have a HDR display. My TV’s actual peak nits is something around 385, and I use 480 as target peak nits for HDR to SDR 3D LUTs which then leaves the SDR range (0-100 nits) unchanged. Obviously you can pick any value you want as target peak nits, but I wouldn’t go below around 300 because in my opinion this starts compressing SDR highlights too much. I can go up to 1000 for target peak nit without the picture looking dim (in a dark room).

Another question please, instead of roll-off can i use hard clipping, so the tv will take care of tone mapping and the lut adjust color gamut?

Only if you are 100% sure that your content doesn’t go above your chosen target peak nits, otherwise you’ll get ugly clipping and hue shifts. So, basically no. If you want the TV to take care of tone mapping, don’t use a 3D LUT.

Well now it’s not bright but dull. I was comparing mad max fury road bluray version to uhd and it look like the new lut make hdr look dimmer than sdr (my sdr mode target=100nit).

This is expected. The HDR version should not look like the SDR version.

Abdessamad Elkanfoud
    Participant

This is expected. The HDR version should not look like the SDR version.

Indeed, My eyes are adapting now with this new profile and i like it more.

Thanks much for your precious time.

Geoff
    Participant

Hi and thanks in advance! (I thought I would continue on this thread rather than create a new one)

I have a C6 Oled and had a quick go at creating a madVR 3D LUT for HDR using the 175p calibration.  The main issue after calibration is the darks are crushed.

I am using I1 Display pro with the LED OLED correction. White level and Black level drift ticked. Made the patch pattern quite small.

Calibration tab I have left defaults.

Profiling tab = XYZ + Matrix — Maximise lightness difference.  (I can try very large testchart but I want to make sure I have settings right first).

3D LUT = source  BT.2020 — Tone curve 2084 (roll-off) — Target peak 1000 cd/m2 — content colorspace rec.2020

I have my hdr mode defaults on TV and colour set to wide (I assume I shouldnt touch 2pt or 20pt before generating LUT) After running it said DCI-P3 coverage was only 70% before I applied the LUT.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Abdessamad Elkanfoud
    Participant

I have the same problem and i couldn’t solve it. Larger Testchart won’t help, i’ve tried 175, 425, 1118 black will be always crashes. My dci coverage was 88%.

HDR 3d-lut calibration seems impossible with wrgb oled’s.

Just stick with passthrough or process using madvr pixel shader math.

Geoff
    Participant

Yeah Ive just done a basic 2pt adjustment for HDR.

Its a pity there is no way to do an accurate LUT for these Oleds for HDR as it would negate the issue of not being able to calibrate them properly using the TVs controls.

If anybody finds a way to do a 3DLUT for MadVR for HDR on the 2016 Oleds that would be awesome though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS