madVR HDR LUT not a HDR LUT?

Home Forums Help and Support madVR HDR LUT not a HDR LUT?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Daniel1
    Participant

Hello,

i was creating a madVR HDR LUT with the settings attached in the screenshots.

The things i changed were the following:

-I chose 700 cd because the max output my Display can do is around 700 cd.

-Max white level 4000cd because there is no HDR content with more than 4000cd.

-And Black Output Offset to 100% because i use a Spyder5 which can only read until 0.09cd

-Maximize luminance difference in the Test Patterns for the Display to “cool off” because of the limited time max luminance with local dimming that many displays have (just my guess,16 zones on this Display)

The madVR pattern generator correctly switched into HDR and i made sure it was fullscreen and the measurement area as small as possible (at the beginning with the interactive calibration i confirmed 700cd).

The problem is that the generated LUT “BT.2020.HDR.3dlut” switches madVR back to SDR.

I also tried checking the accuracy with some recommended settings i read elsewhere on this forum (see screenshot), and in the test the madVR pattern generator stays on SDR as well.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The problem is that the generated LUT “BT.2020.HDR.3dlut” switches madVR back to SDR.

That might be a madVR bug. In your madVR settings, it looks configured correctly (send metadata looks correct). Which player have you tried it with?

I also tried checking the accuracy with some recommended settings i read elsewhere on this forum (see screenshot), and in the test the madVR pattern generator stays on SDR as well.

You have to manually switch madTPG to HDR.

Daniel1
    Participant

That might be a madVR bug. In your madVR settings, it looks configured correctly (send metadata looks correct). Which player have you tried it with?

I use the latest MPC-BE 1.5.3 (build 4488).

i just found a way to make the madVR OSD HDR infos more detailed (creating a folder “ShowHdrMode” in the madVR directory) and the OSD shows that its converting to SDR.

I just double checked my DisplayCAL settings and they say “HDR-Inhalte verarbeiten”. Maybe something in DisplayCAL is broken and it generates a  HDR->SDR LUT when it shouldn’t. At least it named the file right “BT.2020.HDR.3dlut” but it converts to SDR where it should not.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can easily confirm that a 3D LUT is indeed a HDR 3D LUT. If it was installed and has “.HDR.3dlut” as suffix, it is a HDR 3D LUT. You can also use a hex editor to view the 3D LUT contents, HDR 3D LUTS will have “Output_Transfer_Function PQ” in the metadata (within the first few hundred bytes usually).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS