madVR 3D LUT for display calibration, not tone mapping

Home Forums Help and Support madVR 3D LUT for display calibration, not tone mapping

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Liersi
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I just found DisplayCal the other day and am still learning its ways. My question is regarding the generation of a 3D LUT for use in the display calibration section of madVR, not for tone mapping. Tone mapping is done dynamically via shaders. Did I do the following right?

I did this for my monitor as a trial case, and it was straight-forward. I picked the madVR BT.709 setting and the generated 3D LUT was loaded in the display calibration tab. Perfect.

Now my projector wasn’t staright-forward. What I want here is a wide gamut 3D LUT to load in the display calibration tab of madVR. The BT.2020 setting in DisplayCal generated an LUT for use in the tone mapping section of madVR. Trial-and-error showed that this is tied to the tone curve setting in the 3D LUT tab, is that correct? SMPTE 2084 is a tone mapping curve? Setting the tone curve to gamma 2.2 generates an LUT for the display calibration tab.

My settings should be attached as an image. Does this do what I want it to do? Is it wide gamut? The madTPG window kept saying BT.709 in its label. Basically I’m worried that I’m doing it wrong and clipping the gamut to 709. It says “Source colorspace: BT.2020”, but that’s source.

Thanks for any assistance you can render!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS