MadVR 3D Lut Artifacts/Clipping

Home Forums Help and Support MadVR 3D Lut Artifacts/Clipping

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Logan Johnston
    Participant

Hi, I’m trying to create a 3dlut for use with madvr and my projector, but I’m getting some weird artifacts, especially on blues/cyans. The projector itself is calibrated to DCI-P3. I’ve tried creating 3dluts for multiple different color spaces but they all suffer the artifacts to differing degrees. I also tried creating one for DCI-P3, but set to relative colorimetric instead of absolute with whitepoint scaling. This does not have the issue, however, the colors look very blue.

I’ve attached the archive of the profile, and a couple screenshots of the issue in question.

Thanks for any help you’re able to give.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

You could try redoing the profile with the same or different patch count, alternatively using “check measurement file…” to remote patches which may be throwing off the gradients.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The main issue with projectors is light output stability over prolonged time periods, making them hard to profile as the underlying device characteristics shift while measurements are being performed. A way to counteract this is to measure as few patches as reasonably possible, limiting the measurement area to the smallest workable size, and enabling white level drift compensation as well as alternating light/dark patches to minimize the effect of potential automatic lamp dimming (the latter can be achieved by select “maximize luminance difference” under patch sequence).

That said, in your case, there’s a distinct shift in lightness of one of the measured patches (#2359). Removing that patch using the method described by MW above should fix the issue you’re seeing.

It doesn’t look like the aforementioned issue of projector light output stability, so it’s likely a madVR (or overall operating system/graphics card) hitch.

Logan Johnston
    Participant

Okay, I went back and reprofiled after the suggestions, and after finding the post about ideal measurement distance for projectors. And, I think I ended up with what appears to be a more accurate profile. And the artifact issue is no longer there either.

Thanks for the help and info!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS