macOS LUT test

Home Forums Help and Support macOS LUT test

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hyperknot
    Participant

Hi,

I’m confused about the macOS profile support. From what I read it only supports “single curve + matrix” in non-professional apps, like Adobe.

To try this, I made a Gamma 1.0 calibration with a XYZ LUT profile.

And it works perfectly, almost everywhere. The top menu bar is bright, some UI elements are bright, but all web browsers, Preview, etc. is showing correct gamma. Does it mean XYZ LUT is working?

If not like this, then what kind of test should I do to test it?

Vincent
    Participant

Usually test involve seeing black to white gradients in apps that use Apple colormanagement engine.
    If for your particular display measured black stored in ICC profile is far from the idealized black Apple engine can handle you’ll end up with cliping or color cast in greys. Another test would be a display which once calibrated and measured to create a profile stores 3 different TRC curves for each channel. Apple engine would not handle that in a nice way.

Hyperknot
    Participant

I checked a simple black-white gradient, in preview it has some stepping while in Affinity Photo it looks smooth.

But for a Gamma 1.0 some stepping in 8-bit mode is normal, isn’t it? I’m actually surprised how can Affinity Photo display it smooth.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Smoothness points to dither in Affinity output.

As explained before issues with Apple engine happens when measured black and TRC for each channel are far from ideal behavior described by a matrix single curve BPC. If you want to test the limits of Apple engine, your test you should test with that kind of display, otherwise 3xTRC will be the same and actual black may be clos to ideal black.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS