MacOS 10.14 Night Shift won't enable after profiling

Home Forums Help and Support MacOS 10.14 Night Shift won't enable after profiling

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

mgb123
    Participant

It’s possible that this has something to do with MacOS – and nothing to do with DisplayCal – but after profiling, I’ve noticed that Nightshift (which I wouldn’t enable when doing color work – but would enable otherwise) won’t enable manually or via schedule any more.

Anyone notice similar behavior?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by mgb123.

Henk Poley
    Participant

I haven’t seen that, but you should know that for the general applications in macOS, any ICC profile that uses anything else than “Single curve + matrix” or “Single gamma + matrix” is rather broken.

The other (“better”) profile types will apparently still work in Photoshop and friends. But they will be wrong for normal everyday picture viewing applications such as say Safari, Preview and Photos.

It might be that Apple is just working towards only supporting sRGB monitors. But this stuff has been broken since 10.9 in 2013. Much before most Macs were shipping with a proper sRGB screen.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Henk Poley.

mgb123
    Participant

Thanks Henk – I did see that, so I swapped over to single/matrix – just to avoid the odd behavior.

This might just be a MacOS 10.14 bug – but I’m not sure. It’s just odd that profiling would disable it. I’m not sure if something else occurred midstream.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In case you still have the old profile, you could consider to report this bug to apple.

bugreport.apple.com

if you open a bug report,
    you should open the terminal and type:

sudo sysdiagnose” attach the file it generated.

You will also need to attach the color profile. Just type “ColorSync” into finder. You will find the profile under “user” in the program you just opened. Then copy the path you can see on the right, and copy it into the finder to locate it. (you need to make a copy of it as if you just move it to the desktop, it will me removed from the profile list under “monitor”).

Hope this helps 🙂

Jenius
    Participant

Did you manage to fix it?

I am having the same problem.. and I was using “Single curve + matrix”

Strangely, even switching back to the default profile wouldn’t allow the Night Shift to work again.

mgb123
    Participant

Still no fix for me – and same on my side as well – switching back to default didn’t fix it.

Jenius
    Participant

I managed to fix it once.. but it involved fresh install in MacOS without restoring any applications or settings.. it sucks as it took a lot of effort.

Using the same colour profile again would not exhibit the same issue after the fresh installation.

I feel like it could be one of the software installed that with DisplayCAL that changes this behaviour, not the profile itself.

mgb123
    Participant

Given that Jenuis saw the issues go away after completing a fresh install of macOS – even when using the previously generated profile, that seems to suggest that DisplayCal is touching some lower level resource on the system, and breaking the NightShift functionality.

I went ahead and created a bug here: https://hub.displaycal.net/issue/15861/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by mgb123.

mgb123
    Participant

Just did an OS re-install from the Recovery Partition on MacOS 10.14.4. Issue persisted, and doesn’t seem to be resolved by installing the newer version of DisplayCal.

Nico S.
    Participant

Hi, I pinpointed the problem to the way colprof makes the profile. ArgyllCMS by default doesn’t output the chromatic adaptation table (chad) other display profiles usually have. See https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ArgyllCMS_arts_tag.html for details. It seems ColorSync needs that table to make Night Shift work properly.

In that same page the author describes a workaround to force colprof to generate that table. If you set the enviroment variable ARGYLL_CREATE_DISPLAY_PROFILE_WITH_CHAD to 1 by using terminal and then running DisplayCAL from there the resulting profile contains the ‘chad’ table and Night Shift works properly. You may also need to set the LANG variable if the app refuses to load.

The commandline tools window has a section for environment variables where we’re supposed to add that variable but it doesn’t show anything in my machine (am I using it wrong?)

Other way of creating a profile is to run colprof manually using the settings stored in the log DisplayCAL saves every time you make a profile. The problem with this way of making the profile is that colprof doesn’t output the ‘mmod’ table OSX uses to assign a profile to a display and you’ll have to uncheck “show profiles for this display only” to find the profile.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The commandline tools window has a section for environment variables where we’re supposed to add that variable but it doesn’t show anything in my machine (am I using it wrong?)

That’s a left-over, the ability to specify env vars from within the program has been removed a long time ago (and only supported a few very specific pre-defined ones).

Other way of creating a profile is to run colprof manually using the settings stored in the log DisplayCAL saves every time you make a profile.

Not recommended and in many cases not possible because coloprof isn’t even involved in creating matrix profiles with DisplayCAL.

mgb123
    Participant

Can’t really add much value to any of the above – but if this is simply an issue with the color profile preventing night shift,  and switching to a different profile and reenable it. That’s not the case.

Nico S.
    Participant

It is an issue with the profiles. I attached two profiles, one with the ‘chad’ table and other without it. Both were generated using the “Create profile from measurement data” tool, the only difference is that the one with the table was made with the environment variable set.

To test the behavior of Night Shift:
    1. Install the profile system-wide using DisplayCAL
    2. Reboot (this seems to be important, OSX bug?)
    3. Check if Night Shift works, then try the other profile.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How did you create these profiles? As I said, colprof isn’t normally involved when creating matrix profiles with DisplayCAL unless you use a non-default testchart (i.e. not the 34 patch default and also none of those from the dropdown list). Speaking of which, the ‘targ’ tag is also missing from those profiles, which seems curious.

I also never recommend installing profiles system-wide on single user systems.

mgb123
    Participant

To test the behavior of Night Shift:
    1. Install the profile system-wide using DisplayCAL
    2. Reboot (this seems to be important, OSX bug?)
    3. Check if Night Shift works, then try the other profile.

I tried the chad profile and saw no change after a restart. Toggling night shift on or off makes no difference.

The changes made during the initial run of DisplayCal aren’t ‘in’ the profile near as I can tell – for it to persist between updates, users, and only be ‘fixed’ after a fresh install (regardless of the profile chosen) seems to imply that there’s something else going on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS