MacBook Pro has a reddish tint after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support MacBook Pro has a reddish tint after calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

jlink
    Participant

I know that this topic has been discussed often here and around the internet but mostly I find in connected to Spydes – not i1 Display Pros..

After the calibration and profiling I get a notable reddish tint on my Late 2018 MacBook Pro with P3 display.

I am calibrating and profiling with the Video (D65, Rec. 1886) Settings using a i1 Display Pro and the “Spectral LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)” correction.

I am profiling to XYZ Lut + Matrix with 1553 patches.

Automatic brightness and True Tone are switched off.

Also the profile looks totally okay when I run the verification.

Do I need to use the visual whitepoint editor and estimate?  Why? Sorry, if the reason is obvious – I am really new to display calibration..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

jlink
    Participant

I think I am experiencing another issue: All blacks under 25 and all whites above 235 get crushed/are clipping. Is it because of the BT 1886 Gamma or is there something different going on?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I think I am experiencing another issue: All blacks under 25 and all whites above 235 get crushed/are clipping.

That sounds like a levels issue. In which application(s) are you experiencing the problem? Note that Apple products do not support XYZ LUT profiles (3rd party software like Photoshop is not affected).

jlink
    Participant

Unfortunately I experience it in Premiere Pro (the newest version with color management as well as After Effects).

I am testing with the AVS HD 709 testpattern. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html)

Do you have any idea about the reddish tint as well, Florian @fhoech ?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by jlink.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by jlink.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am testing with the AVS HD 709 testpattern.

Anything above 235 should actually clip with typical video test patterns. For the below 25 clipping, that’s probably an interpolation issue in Adobe Premiere – I’m not sure, does Premiere support 3D LUTs?

Do you have any idea about the reddish tint as well

Compared to what?

jlink
    Participant

I’m not sure, does Premiere support 3D LUTs?

You can use LUTs on an effect layer but you cant assign them globally.

Do you have any idea about the reddish tint as well

Compared to what?

Just to the naked eye e.g. when I have I white wall behind it. Is there a possibility to screenshot this so I could show you?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Just to the naked eye e.g. when I have I white wall behind it

Many white paints contain optical brighteners, which shift light remission towards blue (but the visual effect is just that the white seems “purer” than it would otherwise). This also depends on the illumination (an illuminant without any UV will not excite the optical brighteners, but something like daylight certainly will).

jlink
    Participant

Many white paints contain optical brighteners, which shift light remission towards blue (but the visual effect is just that the white seems “purer” than it would otherwise). This also depends on the illumination (an illuminant without any UV will not excite the optical brighteners, but something like daylight certainly will).

So you are sure, it is correct? Is there a way to verify this? Compare it to another calibrated screen or something? It really seems  so shifted..

Regarding the crushing/clipping blacks and whites I have to admit that now in other lighting conditions I am also seeing blacks down to 16, so everythings allright. It was just to bright in my room.

jlink
    Participant

Even in a darkened room, my girlfriend just said it has a red tint..

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So you are sure, it is correct? Is there a way to verify this? Compare it to another calibrated screen or something? It really seems so shifted..

Ideally, have a spectrometer so you can check, and D65 room lighting + walls painted with a spectrally flat gray.

now in other lighting conditions I am also seeing blacks down to 16

Ok, good.

jlink
    Participant

There’s no DIY small budget solution? 😉 i am not aiming at perfectness which of course is far away with that laptop but it just seems so wrong…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The small budget solution is work in a dim room, maybe with a D65 bias light so it’s not totally pitch dark 🙂

If your eyes really do not adapt to the calibrated white even after giving it some time with no other sources of white in sight, you could also calibrate to the MacBook’s native (“as measured”) white. Will probably be closer to D70 than D65 though.

jlink
    Participant

Thanks a lot, will try that! 🙂

jlink
    Participant

Can I ask something more about that topic? There’s another thing I don’t understand:

Actually when I wrote that the problem about the levels solved and I can see the details in the shadows now, that was not the case – at least not for that specific profile. I was in another profile I created with the same settings, except for the  white level that somehow accidentally got changed to “custom: 130 cd/m²”. There I saw the shadow-details.

What I don’t understand is, that I thought in the profile created before (the one where the shadows crashed) the “White Level” was set to “as measured”, but I think it calibrated also to 130 cd/m² (at least that is, what I set the luminanace of the display to in the first calibration step).

Correction: Now, when I look closer, I see, that the measurement report says that the display profile luminance ist at 184.7 cd/m², so I guess the display might just have been to dark since it remainwd all the time at 130 cd/m². Is that correct?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For a dim environment, around 100-120 cd/m2 is recommended. A brighter environment will require a higher luminance for comfortable viewing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS