MacBook Pro 2017 issues with blacks

Home Forums Help and Support MacBook Pro 2017 issues with blacks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I calibrated the display of my MacBook Pro and got very good results almost 99% of sRGB and 98% of P3. But I have a problem that blacks are banding. I used the native whitepoint of the display and calibrated to gamma 2.2. It would be great if my color profile could be checked for any problems because I am not very sure if this is a bug in MacOS (as I already found out, that color profiles cause issues in MacOS)

The Shadows look like in the second image of this post:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/271825/bug-macos-sierra-preview-quick-look-issues-with-rendering-colors-of-images-when

Best Regards,
    Max

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

yes, this is a macOS bug, it does not support cLUT type profiles (professional applications like Photoshop etc. are not affected). If using macOS apps like Preview is important to you, create a single curve + matrix profile.

Henk Poley
    Participant

It could be wise to put a little warning in the app when you choose anything other than “Single curve + matrix” on macOS.

Like “Warning: only Single curve + matrix is compatible with all software on OS X 10.9+”

And maybe a link to a little webpage that complains about everything that’s known to be broken when you choose something else.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, the defaults are as they are for a reason 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, Apple should really fix this issue. I looked more into this and also made a bug report. It looks like MacOS supports cLUTS but only in Safe Mode, as in this mode it will display all colors correct, in all apps. RE: single curve + matrix, this also doesn’t work. It almost looks like macOS Mojave broke all generated color profiles 😀

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Single curve + matrix will work. What won’t work is 3xCurves + matrix (or 3xGamma + matrix). You can verify that you have created the correct type of profile by checking that the tone response curves are the same in profile information.

Henk Poley
    Participant

Personally I would still put in a warning, since it’s pretty clear that the other calibration options are (well, should be) better and are still available as an option. You can’t expect people to be born with knowledge about bugs in their operating system.

But it’s your app of course.

kjnwds
    Participant

Yes, Apple should really fix this issue. I looked more into this and also made a bug report. It looks like MacOS supports cLUTS but only in Safe Mode, as in this mode it will display all colors correct, in all apps. RE: single curve + matrix, this also doesn’t work. It almost looks like macOS Mojave broke all generated color profiles ?

Hello to everyone.

I can confirm that while using the 1xCurve+MTX worked in El Capitan, it does not in Mojave.

I just discovered it and I’m very unhappy about it as you can imagine.

The simpler profile is almost accurate in preview, meaning it doesn’t clip blacks in the way you all know, but is still more contrasted / darks are darker.

I tried many different combinations, both with and without “black point correction”, but to no avail.

Please Florian, advise!

P.S.

Is there really no way to use the accurate calibration on any recent macOS ? It seems… Impossible (or terrible, however you may put it)..!

I have seen how better display cal profiles my monitor: it’s really depressing to go back to colormunki photo software.

Awesome job, btw, keep the good work up! We all love you Florian 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

kjnwds
    Participant

I’m sorry Florian but the “1xCurve+MTX” trick worked on El Capitan, but Mojave broke the toy again.. I sorry I don’t know if it works in High Sierra. I’m available for testing if you are interested. Don’t have much time but it’s the least I could do, if it helped. Best. Guido

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m sorry Florian but the “1xCurve+MTX” trick worked on El Capitan, but Mojave broke the toy again.. I sorry I don’t know if it works in High Sierra. I’m available for testing if you are interested. Don’t have much time but it’s the least I could do, if it helped. Best. Guido

You can’t use black point correction (on the “Calibration” tab).

kjnwds
    Participant

Hi Florian, thank you for the feedback, I have first tried without.

Only afterwards I checked the black correction (I would think with no difference).

Is there any way I can provide you with a log that could allow you to understand why it’s not working?

Could you post three screenshots with the exact settings in advanced mode? I know it shouldn’t be necessary, but it would avoid any error on my side. And if it works I’m dumb (but the screenshots will be there for future generations hehe), if it doesn’t we can try to discover why.

Any course of action you suggest!

<hr />

To recap I’m on a 2018 15″ macbook pro and using a colormunki photo.

As a side note I also have the  Colormunki Display (the question implied is: should I use the colorimeter  than the spectrophotometer?)

Best

Guido

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Could you post three screenshots with the exact settings in advanced mode?

Use the defaults (select “Default” under settings).

As a side note I also have the Colormunki Display (the question implied is: should I use the colorimeter than the spectrophotometer?)

Use the CM Photo to create a correction for your CM Display, then use the latter (better precision, higher speed).

kjnwds
    Participant

As a side note I also have the Colormunki Display (the question implied is: should I use the colorimeter than the spectrophotometer?)

Use the CM Photo to create a correction for your CM Display, then use the latter (better precision, higher speed).

I’m so sorry Florian… I’m not as experienced as I would like to, and I did not understand what you mean and how to do it.

I’m sure if you explain it I will be able to do it, if you have the time.

(There’s no rush)

Thank you

Guido

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sure. If you can, connect both instruments to your Mac, otherwise, start with the CM Photo. Click the small “+” icon next to the correction dropdown to bring up the creation dialog. Follow the instructions on the dialog, leaving settings as-is (if you need to switch instruments, you can exit the dialog and it’ll remember the last measured file). Once you have both sets of measurements, click “create colorimeter correction…”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think I know what is causing this issue. So if others can try and recalibrate it with this information it would be helpful.

What to do:

1. Disable automatic brightness
    2. set background of the desktop to black
    3. use this icc profile from xrite to use the native color instead of the default one: https://my.xrite.com/documents/apps/public/helpfiles/EN/XRite_LinearProfile.icc.zip
    4. clean the display as good as you can
    5. Recalibrate

if you did everything I listed above, it should fix the issue. I will follow up with a bigger patch calibration, that is running right now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS