MacBook Pro 16″ 2019 Contrast issue

Home Forums Help and Support MacBook Pro 16″ 2019 Contrast issue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Luca9898
    Participant

Hi, I have some problems calibrating my MacBook Pro 2019 (i9, 5500m). I work in DaVinci resolve with Blackmagic footage and use Spyder 5.

On my second display, a generic old BENQ monitor calibrated on D65 2.2 gamma, I see a smooter contrast between darkest areas and middle grey areas and colors have a much more pleasant contrast.

The MacBook display is calibrated has following : 6500k, 120cd/m2, gamma 2.2, verification Rec709 ITU-R BT.709 with tone curve Rec. 1886. I have disable automatic brightness and True Tone.

On this display the contrast is too aggressive for me, the darkest areas are like clipped in blacks, no good contrast and colors contrast is not pleasant as on BENQ. I tried other second monitors without any calibration and also there the contrast is good. Am I doing something wrong with calibration settings? Maybe is because I haven’t set the correction to phosphor PFS?

The problem is more visible on dark clips.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi, I have some problems calibrating my MacBook Pro 2019 (i9, 5500m). I work in DaVinci resolve with Blackmagic footage and use Spyder 5.

Measurement device is innaccurate.

The MacBook display is calibrated has following : 6500k, 120cd/m2, gamma 2.2, verification Rec709 ITU-R BT.709 with tone curve Rec. 1886. I have disable automatic brightness and True Tone.

Check resulting TRC in profile info. Remember that macOS built in color management engine is defective, it works properly with extremely idealized profiles but may show issues like posterization or tint with complex ones,hence DisplayCAL should have warn you if you modified default profile type settings.

Am I doing something wrong with calibration settings?

Check what i wrote above.

Maybe is because I haven’t set the correction to phosphor PFS?

That will lead to wrong whitepoint. Closest built in device correction will be RGBLED/Widegamut LED.

Innacurate devices like Spyder 4/5 hay not be able to measure properly in dark parches. Hence take a look on measured TRC stored in profile.

The problem is more visible on dark clips.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS