MacBook Air – Settings for calibration – HELP

Home Forums General Discussion MacBook Air – Settings for calibration – HELP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rbfigueira
    Participant

Hi,

I have tried to calibrate my MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013 – Internal LCD is Samsung) using Spyder5. I am trying to calibrate but with no success. Here are the settings used :

Display & Instrument:
    + Laptop (Gamma 2.2)
    + LCD (Generic)
    + White level drift composition – Active (if not active,I will get bag results on the Gradient (banding) – see my post : http://bit.ly/1tawMlj)
    + Black level drift composition – Desactive (if active I will get always one error:  Argyll CMS xicclu: Invalid white RGB: 0.9684 0.9753 0.9470), then “Profile has not been finished”.)
    + Correction : Auto (none)

Calibration and Profiling : all defaults

With those setting I get one Profile that has:
    + Black level – GOOD (reference: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php)
    + Gradient (banding) – GOOD
    + Contrast- PROBLEMS (reference: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php)

The problem is not in contrast it self is the colours I see it on the darks: For example, the white bar (from black to pure white) … I  don’t see pure black to gray when approaching the pure white. I see some weird colours (perhaps more dark green) on the first 2-5 bars (darks)  that will  disappears when approaching the pure white.

I have again tried other test. On Calibration tab I have activated the “Interactive display adjustment”.  The green (RGB) is advanced and … perhaps this will fix the problems but I don’t know or have the way to reduce the green color. I have attached the image. PLEASE: Let me know what I have to do to create the perfect profile and what site/images I have to use to reference and check all. I am using the site : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test

Note: I have also other macbook (old macbook pro) and I can’t also create one good profile 🙁

Can you guys help me to put the correct settings ? I can give all details.
    Thanks

Best regards,
    Ricardo Figueira

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

rbfigueira
    Participant

Hi,
    With that settings, the problem I report is seen in this image:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/img/colorbands-toodark-dith.png
    (see the white bar … the green colors appear on the beginning (first dark bars) that will disappears when approaching the pure white)

Perhaps I have to increase the “Calibration Speed” to Best in the calibration tab. That result was doing using the Calibration Speed = Fast.

Right now, I am running other test (the difference is in bold) :
    + Laptop (Gamma 2.2)
    + LCD (Generic)
    + White level drift composition – Active
    + Black level drift composition – Desactive
    + Correction : Auto (none)

Calibration : 
    WhitePoint : Color Temperature set to 6500
    Calibration Speed: Best

Still running and has passed 10 hours… lol
    I will put here the results.

Any tips to get the best results for the Macbook Air and Pro ?
    Thanks

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by rbfigueira.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by rbfigueira.

rbfigueira
    Participant

Waiting more then 10 hours and in the end …. again ?????
    Argyll CMS xicclu: Invalid white RGB 🙁

Is this normal ?

nichtsistwahr
    Participant

There is only so much you can do on a notebook display. In general, you will get the least banding if you stick as close as possible to the display’s native white balance and gamma curve. You can get those values by choosing Tools > Report on uncalibrated display.

Depending on what you want to achieve, you could then either go with the native whitepoint (‘as measured’) or choose something close to the whitepoint you measured before. If you don’t need overly accurate color hues, you should use the native whitepoint. Otherwise, looking at the screenshot in your original post, you might want to try setting a manual white point of ~ 6300 K, so that your display’s slight green tint will be corrected during calibration.

The same goes for your tone curve. You can go with ‘as measured’ (less banding but also less linear results) or choose a gamma value close to the original one (your display might have a gamma of 2.5, so 2.4 or 2.3 should be ok, but 2.2 might start to look weird and a softproof-ish 1.8 or L* would definitely be pushing it).

I’m not sure whether DisplayCal deactivates your display’s automatic brightness control. Otherwise you should deactivate it in your System Preferences. You probably won’t need any white or black level drift compensation after doing that (given a sufficiently warmed up display). This will also speed up the calibration process. Increasing the brightness might also help a little.

In the profiling tab, XYZ LUT + matrix and the default auto-optimized  test chart with 425 patches should be more than enough.  More patches will mean longer profiling time.

Hope this helps. 🙂

rbfigueira
    Participant

Hi nichtsistwahr,

I have run other test:

And I get this:

Complete report: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bv2i7zw053tp95c/Measurement%20Report%203.1.3.1%20%E2%80%94%20Color%20LCD%20%40%200%2C%200%2C%201440×900%20%E2%80%94%202016-06-08%2012-26.html?dl=0

Using the “Report on Uncalibrated Display device” I get this.

13:03:07,668 Uncalibrated response:
    13:03:07,674 Black level = 0.3691 cd/m^2
    13:03:07,674 50% level = 52.08 cd/m^2
    13:03:07,675 White level = 246.34 cd/m^2
    13:03:07,676 Aprox. gamma = 2.24
    13:03:07,677 Contrast ratio = 667:1
    13:03:07,677 White chromaticity coordinates 0.3076, 0.3323
    13:03:07,678 White Correlated Color Temperature = 6752K, DE 2K to locus = 9.4
    13:03:07,678 White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6751K, DE 2K to locus = 5.9
    13:03:07,679 White Visual Color Temperature = 6371K, DE 2K to locus = 9.1
    13:03:07,680 White Visual Daylight Temperature = 6528K, DE 2K to locus = 5.7
    13:03:07,681 dispcal: Warning – Unable to determine Video LUT entry bit depth
    13:03:07,682 White drift was 0.090263 DE
    13:03:07,682 The instrument can be removed from the screen.
    13:03:07,690 DisplayCAL: Reached EOF (OK)

Any tips to remove that RED on the 281 ?

Thanks

nichtsistwahr
    Participant

Any tips to remove that RED on the 281 ?

Well, as Florian wrote the profile doesn’t look too bad as it is. I’m not sure why there is such a huge difference between the visual and correlated color temperature in the uncalibrated report, so I’m just guessing. If you want technical accuracy you could try a target white point closer to the 6750 K and possibly tune the gamma a little. But as I mentioned before, there is only so much you can achieve on a standard notebook display and with only one measurement being slightly above the threshold … you could try one or two things, but I wouldn’t waste much time on it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS