Mac which ICC profile to use before calibration

Home Forums General Discussion Mac which ICC profile to use before calibration

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Yuxuan
    Participant

I noticed that under Colorsync, mac always have an icc profile installed(default is factory Color LCD) You cant leave it blank. When I used i1 Studio software, it will load a liner profile(blank profile?) when you start calibration, but Displaycal does not do that, which means Im calibrating on top of existing factory icc profile, and when I installed the new profile, it will have a high avg delta E around 2 when doing a validation test. But I do get 99.5% P3 gamut in the calibration report.

I tried to copy i1 Studio’s way, by installing the liner icc profile in Colorsync before I start the calibration in Displaycal. When finished, the result shows my display only has 75% P3 and 95% srgb gamut(Im using XDR display mbp 16 with photography P3 preset at 120nits) Which dosent make any sense, since I didnt see any major color shift after calibration, and the validation test shows a very impressive 0.49 avg delta E, and 0.99 max delta E. I’m confused now, and not sure which icc profile I should install before I start the calibration with Displaycal.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

It seems you switched to sRGB/Rec709 profile…. or that macOS screw up non color managed window in ArgyllCMS measurement patch window.

Anyway, macbook XDR do not calibrate that way. Read native white with macbook WLED PFS correction, get CIE xyY coords.
    Then go to customize preset, set measured white, set target white . It should have low error => native grey is neutral, native primaries are P3, TRC is very close to TRC reported by ICC… so all error is in whitepoint and if all othe things are in place, if you provide macOS with ACTUAL native white coordinates it can recalculate gains for that TRC and those primaries that result in requested whitepoint.

When you are done validate with DisplayCAL vs default profile.

Also use latest ArgyllCMS executables.

Yuxuan
    Participant

Oh, that might be the issue, that x-rite liner profile might be locking my display gamut. I will try this. Should I reset my colorsync to the factory profile?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS