Mac OSX + Lightoom + XYZ LUT + Matrix profile: crushed blacks in Library module

Home Forums Help and Support Mac OSX + Lightoom + XYZ LUT + Matrix profile: crushed blacks in Library module

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Andrea3000
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a 2020 13″ Macbook Pro running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5.

I use an external monitor calibrated with DisplayCAL using XYZ LUT + Matrix.
    I am aware of the Mac OS ColorSync bugs with XYZ LUT + Matrix profiles, but I don’t really care about Preview/QuickLook as I have calibrated the monitor to use it mainly with Lightroom and Photoshop (both latest version).

While Lightroom (in the Develop module) and Photoshop works perfectly well with my profile, I’m seeing crushed blacks with Lightroom in the Library module…exactly the same as what I would get in Preview/QuickLook.

Has anybody else observed this? Does it mean that Lightroom in Library module doesn’t use the Adobe CMM anymore and relies on the OS to handle color management?

My issue is somewhat similar to the one mentioned in this post: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-classic-lutcolor-profile-problem/5f5f45da4b561a3d426358ba?topic-reply-list=%5Bobject%20Object%5D#reply_19031197

But in my case the issue in the Library module and not in the Develop module.

I tried to disable GPU acceleration and it doesn’t make any difference.
    I also tried to force the use of OpenGL instead of Metal via the config.lua file (as mentioned in that post) but, even though the file is parsed correctly, Lightroom still uses Metal.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you
    Regards,

Andrea

Andrea3000
    Participant

I spoke to the technical support of Adobe regarding the issue.
    They couldn’t tell me whether the Library module of Lightroom uses the OS color management engine or Adobe’s one…

They said that the issue is because I’m using a custom ICC profile, while I should use the AdobeRGB ICC profile for my monitor..
    This left me almost speechless…I told the person that this solution doesn’t make any sense and completely defies the point of having a color managed workflow and that I wanted to speak to a senior tech support.

A senior tech support called me the next day and sort of hinted that in Library module the Adobe color engine isn’t used and it’s the OS that handles the color management. This would explain the large differences I’m seeing.

And then, again, he told me that I should use the AdobeRGB ICC profile for my monitor and not a custom one.
    I tried to argue with it as much as I could but he just didn’t seem to understand the importance of having an ICC profile that correctly characterises the display..

I finally gave up…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS