Mac M1 black screen (Can’t get display profile of display 1. (-1728))

Home Forums General Discussion Mac M1 black screen (Can’t get display profile of display 1. (-1728))

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mikael
    Participant

Searched the forum without much success, I can run DisplayCal out of the box most times on my Mac M1 but from time to time I get a black non-responding display in the end. The computer still accepts input, I get beeps when pressing keys etc.

DisplayCAL.log

2023-10-24 21:36:12,815 ICCP.get_display_profile(0): 46:54: execution error: Image Events got an error: Can’t get display profile of display 1. (-1728)
    2023-10-24 21:36:12,817 Loading calibration curves of current display device profile…
    2023-10-24 21:36:12,926 46:54: execution error: Image Events got an error: Can’t get display profile of display 1. (-1728)
    2023-10-24 21:36:12,927 …ok.

This is related to Argryll, right?
    The profiles are created as normal, seems to be the last step failing somehow.

Mikael

Mikael
    Participant

Found this in ICCProfile.py:
    line:2170: In short the ICCProfile.py code in DisplayCAL uses Applescript to request the current ICC Profile.

tell application "Image Events"
    set displayProfile to location of display profile of display 1
    return POSIX path of displayProfile
    end tell

On Mac, if there is no ICC profile currently selected for the Display, like a standard value of “Colour LCD” it will fail with:

execution error: Image Events got an error: Can’t get display profile of display 1. (-1728)

This could probably be the reason why some Mac users experience a black screen in the process.

Vincent
    Participant

It expects a previous ICC created by DisplayCAL and selected in “settings” (upper combo). IDNK why DisplayCAL for mac has that hevaior while Windows version can validate any profile set as defsult display profile in OS.

Mikael
    Participant

Thanks! You are right and I guess if it’s not present it uses outdated applescript to figure out the display profile and the result is failure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS