Low gamut screen (perceptual) – grey blacks

Home Forums Help and Support Low gamut screen (perceptual) – grey blacks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

betazoid
    Participant

hi, I am trying to profile my acer laptop screen. it barely has 60% sRGB. first I calibrated and profiled with the default settings. result was that some very bright colors, especially reds, appeared oversaturated. i converted the profile to perceptual rendering intent (I hope you know what I mean). reds looked much better, but a banding problem appeared, especially with greens. I increased the number of patches for profiling (large test chart), greens ok, but blacks too grey. on my external screen, only a fraction of the problem is visible in the screenshot (attachment). but I hope the screenshot helps. however, if I switch back to rendering intent relative colorimetric, the blacks problem disappears, but the reds problem is black.
    is there a way to improve something here? I know, 60% sRGB is really not that good… still I find that calibration/profiling do improve this screen a lot, in general. it is just about 10% of my photos where something looks very wrong on this screen.

thanks in advance

anna

• This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by betazoid.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am trying to profile my acer laptop screen. it barely has 60% sRGB.

Not suitable for color work I’m afraid. sRGB is already the smallest “standard” color space, if a display doesn’t even cover that (or at least > 90%), you’ll be very limited in any color managed approach.

betazoid
    Participant

I know, I do not want to use that screen for editing photos. Just viewing, maybe, sometimes. And I am kind of a perfectionist. (I have an external screen, and I think soon I will have another one.)

Anyway, thanks for the answer. But, I think something is wrong here. (I know, developing this program for calibrating very bad screens is not your priority 😀 )

Edit: In case you want to suggest that I throw away my laptop – no way!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by betazoid.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS