Low contrast when using lut box

Home Forums Help and Support Low contrast when using lut box

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kaann
    Participant

Hello everybody,

My monitor (Dell S2721QS) is connected to my computer with a decklink mini monitor 4k, and a bmd 6g sdi to hdmi in between (I use it as a lut box, 17^3 cube). When I disable the lut in my lut box and verify with devicelink enabled in displaycal, I get good measurements. However, when I disable devicelink in displaycal and send the lut thru my lut box instead, my gamma curve looks very off and my black point is very high, thus resulting in low contrast. Any idea what can cause this? I have clipping to legal levels disabled in the settings of the converter, so it should show full range signal.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Kaann
    Participant

Ok so I kind of got around this but now I have another problem. When connecting my display directly to my decklink and running a calibration thru displaycal with the xrite i1 display pro plus (Calibrating to rec709 gamma 2.4), I get an average deltaE value of 0,36, accurate white balance and the gamma curve is nearly spot on. However, when I apply that lut to my display thru my BMD 6G SDI to HDMI, I get terrible results. White balance of 6600K, average deltaE of 3 with it peaking at 7, and the gamma curve makes my eyes hurt. Even when I’m letting the signal pass thru the converter, and make displaycal send the LUT, I get the same results. I tried disabling and enabling legal clipping in the converter software, it made no difference. It’s neither the decklink or HDMI cable I use, because I don’t have these problems when I’m not using the converter. It has to be either the SDI cable I’m using or the converter itself (I think? I’m not sure if there is anything else that could cause this). I only own a single SDI cable so I have no way to test if that is the root of the cause, tho I’m not sure if a faulty cable can cause that much trouble. See the imgur link for pictures of the measurement reports. https://imgur.com/a/9p15yNB

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS